Use of the term 'science fiction' in popular culture

General talk, about the site, sci-fi-london or anything else....
Moss Piglet
SFL Member

Post by Moss Piglet » Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:23 pm

http://www.wired.com/culture/culturerev ... hetto_0412

This so annoys me. What is it with the hang up with the term 'science fiction'? I've never seen so many sci-fi /fantasy derived shows on tv and at the cinema as in the past few years. I actually thought sci-fi was becoming more accepted but now we're told that even Battlestar Gallactica isn't even described as sci-fi but as something else...

"It's fleshed-out reality," explains executive producer Ronald D. Moore in the sci-fi mag SFX. "It's not in the science- fiction genre."

Of course it's sci-fi!! What is Ronald's problem?

Anyone else got thoughts on this?

Last edited by Moss Piglet on Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

The Editor
SFL Active Member

Post by The Editor » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:29 pm

As the article says: "it's fear". The cause of getting sci-fi seriously accepted hasn't been helped by the fan-boys, such as Trekkies and other costume wearers. Also you have to admit that there is a lot of ropey sci-fi out there which is why publishers will stipulate "no sci-fi or fantasy" in their submission guidelines, but if people can sneak sci-fi in under the radar calling something else then thata surely makes the writers smarter than the publishers (which is a given anyway). If Moore wants to call BG something else to get people to watch it then so what. When I tell people to watch BG because it is one of the best shows on TV they look at me like I'm weird (I get that a lot anyway), but I just say to them it's like West Wing in space - but better, which usually piques there interest.

In an article in the latest issue of The Film Festival Magazine there is an article that describes our Festival as "Sci-fi for people who don't like sci-fi".

If we have to find ways to get people to overcome their predjudice of the genre then call it whatever you like as long as we get them to see intelligent well-made films.

Shaun F
SFL Active Member

Post by Shaun F » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:32 am

In an article in the latest issue of The Film Festival Magazine there is an article that describes our Festival as "Sci-fi for people who don't like sci-fi". - love that

elle
SFL Active Member

Post by elle » Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:43 pm

something i have been 'explaining' for years...to the question or remark...
why do you like sci fi, or i hate it ,or cant understand sci fi... its for blokes etc etc...

and its true...trekkies etc, get the 'genre' a bad name as geekie...
whatever that is ..
but mostly i think its fear of the word science, like maths it is seen as dry...
but maths is creative like art..a result of thought and ideas...and so is sci fi...
but it wears a white coat or dresses up, so is different therefore scary...and might lead to thought?
i live in a world where i was asked why i was reading...
in a tv world of the bill and casualty and win win win, jeremy kyle, jerry springer,where people need help in breeding thinking and breathing...
and where to be famous is more important than to have talent...
SO
''sci fi for people who dont like sci fi?..''
jeez...ok hands up who's scared then? and who likes to think?
its not prejudice of the 'genre' its just pig ignorant usual fear and bla blah blah...
love it ''fleshed out reality''..sounds like crap speak to me....it was an exec producer speaking tho?%)
amen editor... good movies..... :D

elle
SFL Active Member

Post by elle » Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:12 am

I sat through 'independance day' last night on film4
and this film is probably a good pointer to the blockbuster/sci-fi/western/hero/flag waving/
PC culture,skin/comedy/pathos/cheese/kiddies/ blah....that is an american big vehicle for stars that are ''in'' at the moment. (but never named sci-fi)
there are some pointers to many sci- fi movies and content,aliens etc..and the naughty usa govnment
and that is interesting, but as always a mainstream blockbuster (its not sci fi , honest) makes me wince at the sentimental flag waving, and the comedy is SO spelt out...
it is a movie by numbers, where they do the colouring in for you....that seems to be a sci-fi blockbuster ?
but never named so?
#)
I.Robot on tonight film4 , with Will Smith again, i love this 'blockbuster' mainly for the robot..
near to sci- fi but called an actionmovie....yawn yawn %)