Anyone else like to see a credible Dan Dare movie made?

General talk, about the site, sci-fi-london or anything else....
Heebie
SFL Member

Anyone else like to see a credible Dan Dare movie made?

Post by Heebie » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:45 am

If so, who should be Dan and Digby? (in his youth, I always thought David Bowie could have played Dare).

Paul Jacques
SFL Member

Re: Anyone else like to see a credible Dan Dare movie made?

Post by Paul Jacques » Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:22 pm

Hmm, actually no. The problem, for me, with DD is that it's values are based on WW2 heroes (and B&W war movies), as such it'll come over as a cliché. They may well have to change it's "stiff upper lip" basis to make a connection with anyone under the age of 40, and then what are we left with?

elle
SFL Active Member

Post by elle » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:26 pm

If so, who should be Dan and Digby? (in his youth, I always thought David Bowie could have played Dare).
Paul Jacques wrote:Hmm, actually no. The problem, for me, with DD is that it's values are based on WW2 heroes (and B&W war movies), as such it'll come over as a cliché. They may well have to change it's "stiff upper lip" basis to make a connection with anyone under the age of 40, and then what are we left with?
erm David Bowie V The Mekon?..always seen mr Bowie (knowing he had worked in croydon habitat) as a rather bored fey shopgirl when he was young...that aside...love his music, but dont let 'The man who fell to earth' fool anyone, although he was great in that, a skinny, really skinny alien, and thats it....
Dan dare ..a square jawed apres ww2 future man..with a cast of apres world war survivors, flying around in 'Anastasia ' his space ship, taking on treen fighters and all through it square jawed, gritted teeth..and most of the men had air force 'handle bar moustaches'...
could it be made now?...think Jaques might be right, it was of its time about survival, in a new world, still fighting 'the bosh' in a way
even some of the cast drawn by Hampson still wearing ww2 uniforms..
I love dan dare comics... and wasnt a musical made of it?

Heebie
SFL Member

Post by Heebie » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:49 pm

What about Verne Troyer as the Mekon?

lizgoode206
SFL New User

Post by lizgoode206 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:36 am

I do!
I agree with you about David Bowie but actually to be honest, I want to be surprised; I don't want to think and just be disappointed because my bet wasn’t even considered.