SyFy

General talk, about the site, sci-fi-london or anything else....
billy
SFL Member

SyFy

Post by billy » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:10 am

From Sci Fi Wire:
Building on 16 years of water-cooler programming and soaring ratings growth following its most-watched year ever, SCI FI Channel is evolving into Syfy, beginning this summer, Dave Howe, president, SCI FI, announced today.
SyFy. Well. Hmm. Any thoughts?
I think the word looks a bit silly, but think it might work out in the end.

As Ben Peek says, the outrage in the comments on the article above are quite amusing.

Roosta
SFL Active Member

Re: SyFy

Post by Roosta » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:30 pm

This is only really for people who wouldn't normally watch the channel, and can't read phonetically. - But if it works, it works.

I particularly like: 'Building on 16 years of water-cooler programming...' - Ah, so they've been programming for water-coolers all these years, it all makes sense now! :mrgreen:
"TO THE SPACE GUN!!!"

shazad
SFL Member

Post by shazad » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:06 pm

quick, some one register Sy-Fy-London :)

maybe Sy-Fly-London

Shinji Ikari
SFL Pro

Post by Shinji Ikari » Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:03 pm

thats just stupid if you ask me

billy
SFL Member

Post by billy » Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:54 am

Penny Arcade seem to agree:

As do Io9...

Paul Jacques
SFL Member

Post by Paul Jacques » Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:28 pm

Is it any worse than Gold changing to Dave? I might also point out that my wife watches Dave, so she is mystified as to why it's named after a bloke.

Really, is this the best they can do, changing the name, like that will make any difference? Same programming, different name. I wonder what that water-cooler chat was like-
"Say, we need to get the viewing figures up", says one
"Maybe we should invest in some new shows, maybe do a few of our own?", opines another
"na, seems like too much work", replies the first
"how about we change the name, it worked for 'Dave'?", chips in a third
"how much would it cost?", asks the first
"about a buck fifty. I can get my dyslexic cousin Ernie to come up with the new name for a can of soda", responds the third guy
"let legal know we'll need it copyrighted asap, and if anyone in Marketing is still around, wake them up, as they'll need to find a new font for the name." "And someone promote this water cooler to VP, it's great source of inspiration, in fact put it in the same office as the horse we promoted to head of scheduling".
Last edited by Paul Jacques on Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:24 pm

The Editor
SFL Active Member

Post by The Editor » Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:44 pm

Forrest J Ackerman escaped this planet just in time to miss seeing the phrase he coined die. But then again what do you expect from Americans? They never could spell properly anyway. Or is that their attention span is so short they have to abbreviate an abbreviation? And will the UK branch be changing their name too? Having spent all their budget on the new Knight Rider and Dollhouse series they probably don't have any money left for rebranding.

Paul Jacques
SFL Member

Post by Paul Jacques » Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:05 pm

Personally I never had a problem with Sci-Fi until I was informed I had a problem with Sci-Fi and hence forth I should say S-F. Now we are back to phonetic Sy-Fy... excuse me while I weep into Romulan Ale :?

the-mental-one
SFL Member

Post by the-mental-one » Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:40 pm

It's all very silly.

It's like the people who try to define what goth is and then sub-genres from goth...if you like something you like something stop messing with the titles it's not necessary. I still class myself as a Trekkie for example I mean why did they want to have Trekkers? Because someone was geeky enough to want to have a label that said they liked Star Trek but not quite as geeky as some people who were claiming to be trekkies. They seemed to think that the ubergeeks were giving them a bad reputation.

Sue me but I'll always be a fan of Sci-Fi and not necessarily of SF - Speculative Fiction, bugger that for a laugh, it encompasses a much larger grouping which doesn't help me find what I like when I can't be bothered to read something a little less sci-fi and a little more drama based. I mean I'll read almost anything apart from some based around a romance but sci-fi and fantasy are where I feel most comfortable. I suppose it was only a matter of time before someone decided sci-fi was too much for some people to cope with. Maybe it's too geeky or maybe they can't spell :P

Rebranding seems to be all the rage, Aviva's trying it now...not that I knew who they were in the first place, and when Royal Mail tried it the spent tons of money on something only to have to go back to the previous brand when it failed miserably. Leave well enough alone...erm, I know there is a Dave now as I watch it at times but I definitely still watch things on Bravo so I'm not sure that can be a rebrand, wasn't it UK TV gold that became Watch? ...and some of the 'movies4men' were incredibly amusing and definite chick flicks that I find difficult to stomach being a chick who really doesn't understand what's to like in most chick flicks...I'd never have bothered looking at them if I hadn't been semi concious with man-flu ;)

lol @ www.sy-fy-london.com

Shinji Ikari
SFL Pro

Post by Shinji Ikari » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:29 pm

Humm im shore UK TV Gold Changed to G.O.L.D?

the-mental-one
SFL Member

Post by the-mental-one » Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:32 pm

:: shrugs :: I dunno, maybe it was UK TV Drama that rebranded to watch, the UK TV channels all rebranded though far as I can tell...even if it was only to remove UK from their title :P