Please help me in choosing web hosting

General talk, about the site, sci-fi-london or anything else....
0as
SFL New User

Please help me in choosing web hosting

Post by 0as » Fri May 08, 2009 12:16 pm

Hi everyone,
I am sorry for possible offtopic, but I need your help in find new web hosting provider as soon as possible, because my current host (ixwebhosting.com) is kicking me off, they say 'your account is using a lot server resources', but my website gets only about 200 visitors per day and my disk usage is 1500 MB (maybe they do not like that?)

Anyway, what would be your recommendations for getting reliable web hosting? Where are you hosting your websites? Are you happy with your providers?

I am now checking http://www.hosting24.com/ - offer looks very nice, but is it real that they can provide unlimited disk space?
I have contacted them about this question and they say something that "These days 500GB disk drive costs only $30 per month, so if some day we will run out of disk space we will simply add new 500GB disk drive with almost zero costs and you can continue uploading without any problems".

What do you think about it? Maybe things have changed in last 4 years? With my current provider I get only 2GB of disk space for $10 per month..
Any ideas and suggestions are much appreciated.

The Editor
SFL Active Member

Re: Please help me in choosing web hosting

Post by The Editor » Fri May 08, 2009 5:35 pm

If you are looking for lots of disk space and bandwidth then US companies such as www.bluehost.com are good value for money, even if the exchangge rate isn't what it was. They are a bit slow if you are streaming video but apart from that they are good.

If you want something local then www.1and1.co.uk have some good deals. SFL uses them and I run my personal site with them.

the-mental-one
SFL Member

Post by the-mental-one » Mon May 11, 2009 10:25 am

I'm also with 1and1 - although my site's still very much under construction their deals seem very good and I've been able to start with simply registering a domain with the option of moving to larger site hosting once I have my coding done, they're really very flexible which I like.

keatealphonse

Post by keatealphonse » Wed May 13, 2009 11:13 am

5 steps to guide your web hosting choice:

1. Reliability is the main requisite: when choosing a web host many people base their decision on the offered disk space and bandwidth. Unless you already have a very popular blog you will hardly use even 10% the bandwidth on most hosting plans. The main factor on your decision, therefore, should be the reliability of the host (i.e. the speed of the servers and the uptime).

2. Research online: in order to verify the reliability of the different web hosts you will need to research online. Use search engines to gather customer reviews and check the online forums dedicated to web hosting (the best one is Web Hosting Talk).

3. Stay away from oversellers: it is very tempting to sign up with a web host that offers many Gigabytes of disk space, Terabytes of monthly bandwidth and unlimited domains. Specially if they charge $5,95 monthly for those specifications The only problem is that those hosting providers are clearly overselling, and thus they are not able to guarantee service quality. When choosing a web host look for a company that offers reasonable specifications.

4. Test the support service: before signing up make sure that you send some emails to the sales support. Check how fast they answer, how friendly they are and what degree of technical knowledge the operators have. If a company has a poor customer care department to begin with its very likely that other parts of the business will have the same performance.

5. Don’t be cheap: if you are serious about your website or blog you should invest some money into a good web hosting solution. I am not saying that you will need a dedicated server right from the start, but consider that if you want a reliable and fast provider you will need to spend from $10 to $20 monthly.

sharon100
SFL New User

Post by sharon100 » Fri May 15, 2009 11:39 am

Some free hosting providers only allow you to design your page with their online builder. While this is useful for beginners, do you have the option to expand later when you become experienced and their online page builder does not have the facility you need? FTP access, or at the very least, the ability to upload your pages by email or browser, is needed. Personally, I feel FTP access is mandatory, except for the most trivial site. Have this point and select web hosting company

web development services

Karel Bata
SFL New User

Post by Karel Bata » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:58 pm

If you're looking to have some videos on your site check out this thread: Who is the best online host for your film?

The page I link to there (at Video Embeding Comparisons Site ) takes up only about 30kB - all the images are hosted on Photobucket, and the videos at the various hosting sites. You don't really need masses of web space of your own, and you may find that your broadband supplier already gives you as much as you need to create an effective page.

That said I use 1&1 for hosting a lot of my stuff, and UKreg.com are the cheapest domain registrants. DON'T use the same company for both - fall out with one and you have to change the other too!