All nighter suggestions...

As well as comments, let's hear your survival stories...
Shinji Ikari
SFL Pro

Post by Shinji Ikari » Fri Aug 06, 2004 12:58 pm

True it may be hot in a costume but it was only a little fun see it wasent anything sirius to be honist just a srgestion

Shaun F
SFL Active Member

Post by Shaun F » Fri Aug 06, 2004 2:13 pm

I have to admit to being a real fan of b-movie sci-fi but not so sure its financially viable , pout :(

Roosta
SFL Active Member

Post by Roosta » Fri Aug 06, 2004 3:17 pm

I think the best way to run the allnighters is to have something for everyone, for example:

1 - AnimeAllnighter which is alway great!

2 - Something commercial (for example the Alien films "quadrilogy" from S.F.L 1) to advertise and promote the festival: This year I really think it should be all Three Matrix films plus Animatrix, In Chronological Order (where appropriate)!!

3 - Either a themed allnighter (remember the Carpenter Allnighter?!), this could be on David Cronenburg, Philip K. Dick movies, Comedy Sci-Fi or anything else you can think of. Or (like S.F.L. 1) a "mixed bag" Allnighter where anything (and everything) goes in!

The more I think about it the more I realize that its a delicate art this fetival programming lark!
I'll just stick to posting messages I think!
Good Luck Louis!!!!
"TO THE SPACE GUN!!!"

ELLE

Post by ELLE » Sat Aug 07, 2004 12:58 pm

shinji.it was you? only joking!!
just a thought , a short essay follows..

1 an anime allnighter deffo !!
2 poss titles for comedy? (yes shaun love comedy sc-fi and cheese too, but you are right!)
but

1964. 'Dr strangelove' (after hitlers invasion and ww111) only becos my fave movie..
1999 'Galaxy quest' pre potter... (dare you)
1980 'Galaxina' star war spoof, ( hawke and thurman) (double dare)

or sex and sci-fi ?

1964 'Kiss me Quick' mad scientist builds android woman for an alien from an all male planet, a nudey sci-fi

1965 'Dr goldfoot +the bikini machine'
vincent price as mad scientist builds female android to marry rich men and control the world

1966 'Dr goldfoot + girlbombs' (sequel)
vinnie and his female androids target nato

1968 'How to make a doll'
math professor builds female sex androids

or 'DonnyDarko' and 'Harvey'?

YEH GOOD LUCK LOUIS! it is a fine art.....roll on 2005 feb !!!

Missdee
SFL New User

Post by Missdee » Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:58 am

welcome to the boards elle.
It's nice to have some female company here :)
I'm liking your suggestsitons too !

ELLE

Post by ELLE » Sat Aug 14, 2004 1:50 pm

thanx miss dee, hi ! ... sci fi is mostly seen as a male pursuit, never enough women at the festival, i know loads women into sci fi, shame it still has the image it has, although many mainstream movies are sci fi, they are seen as 'action movies',
with loads of bling, where the star is everything. and the story a vehicle... dont you just love the new steve lee 'hand picture' for the festival, they should keep it as an icon for always, and use it every year, and next year give it false nails and diamante rings, the year after green with claws, sorry i,m wandering....

Macro
SFL New User

Post by Macro » Sun Aug 15, 2004 3:07 pm

Anime allnighter, its a must :)

We've got some great looking films comming out, ghost in the shell2, FF-VII-Advent of the children, and of course, Naruto! Any of those would be absolutly great! Think they are all released by August/September this year.

If we could get Naruto an easy allnighter would be a martial arts one, stuff like street fighter 2/alpha, tekken: the motion picture, and Ninja Scroll off the top of my head. If we could get all 3 then just bung them all in together ;) Maybe put the original Ghost In the Shell in there too for people who've not seen it yet, tho i know it was played last year...or the year before that....I forget... :? ...anyway moving on...

In the gaps between (anime) films could play some AMVs, there are some very good ones out there, and I'm sure the original creators would jump at the chance to have their work played on a big screen. Not sure about the legal issues of all that tho.

as for non-anime ideas, i like the Predator/AvP idea, would probably flow more showing AvP with the predator films than the alien ones imho.
Could do a timeline oriented allnighter, stuff like the butterfly effect and donnie darko.
Dare i say, if your looking for B-Movie like ideas....could always do a Troma night *ducks* Toxic Avenger, Tales from the Crapper, Killer Condom, etc. The really camp comedy sci-fi horror films.

ELLE

Post by ELLE » Tue Aug 17, 2004 11:12 am

dont know killer condom? do tell?........ like your ideas...

Macro
SFL New User

Post by Macro » Tue Aug 17, 2004 6:19 pm

To tell the truth I've not got round to watching it... But from what I remember its a german film about some terrorists who create killer condoms to knock off all the perverted citizens of america. I think the IMDB has a trailer for it.
hehe could bung in the old tales from the crypt, the evil deads (ooo that'd be a good allnighter), braindead (gotta love that flymo scene!), bad taste, etc #)

Missdee
SFL New User

Post by Missdee » Tue Aug 17, 2004 8:50 pm

An evil dead all nighter you say?
ohhhhhhhhhhhhh sing me up for a trio of films staring the mighty mighty ash :)

Depending on his schedule the organisers might even be able to get the fantastic Mr Bruce Campbell himself to come and give a talk !

Whaddya say louis?

Shaun F
SFL Active Member

Post by Shaun F » Wed Aug 18, 2004 5:43 pm

I always getting jumpy around the zombie genre, is it sci fi or horror, or horror sci fi? or just a zombie film?

Macro
SFL New User

Post by Macro » Wed Aug 18, 2004 6:04 pm

Get your point, as sci-fi is 'science' fiction...and theres never usually much science in a zombie flick .... "Oh look my dead dead grandfather has come home, would he like a cup of tea? no he's killing my mate....Where's my shotgun at?".
I wouldnt class evil dead as zombie films tho, on the technicality that they get possessed by the evil (has it got a name? i forget, i forget a lot of things).
arg, classifications are annoying, you'll always find someone who can argue why blahblah film is more a x than a y and forget to just watch. Oh i hate it when people ask "why did he do that?" or "whats gonna happen?" just because they know you've seen the film before....if they watch they'll find out! but...calm...i shall rant no more :)

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » Thu Aug 19, 2004 9:29 am

Isn't it true that a lot of "zombie" filcks start with a little science - even Night of the Living Dead had science being responsible for the creatures...

Mind you, science always fails to help...

I agree to much is put on genre... but then I am running a genre festival. It's all SF !

Shaun F
SFL Active Member

Post by Shaun F » Thu Aug 19, 2004 10:26 am

agreed, never one to argue semantics me.

Macro
SFL New User

Post by Macro » Thu Aug 19, 2004 5:32 pm

'tis true, i do admit.

All sf, and all gooood!