Anime All-Nighter, some general questions

Give your thoughts, suggetions and stories
Mart
SFL New User

Post by Mart » Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:25 am

This is the first time i'm going to have gone to one of these things, i've pre-booked my tickets, one for me and a couple for friends. There's just a couple of things i'm wondering about before the actual day (Woo only 3 weeks.).

1) Living in the South East of Essex, i'm already going to have to grab a train into London just to get to the Apollo, what i'm wondering is, what time would you guys suggest getting there. The all-nighter starts at 11:30, so should I be aiming for 11pm? 11:15? I want enough time to grab some food/tickets... which leads me to question 2...

2) I pre-booked my tickets by phone, but they didn't really mention when I should pick them up, I imagine on the night the place is going to be insanely busy, and I don't want to be waiting in line for an eternity just to pick up my pre-booked tickets. I'm going to London next week for something else, would it be possible to pick up my tickets then?

3) Food and Snacks and things, are we allowed to bring our own? Or is it on-site purchase only?

Thanks.

Shinji Ikari
SFL Pro

Post by Shinji Ikari » Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:33 am

Ok heres my sugestions to your questions

1) I recomend you get there between 10 and 10:30 as then you have time to talk to other fans and do a nice doodle on the Anime wall and such

2) I belive that you can pick your tickets up when ever you want as long as you go in there they can be picked up

3) I do belive you are allowed to bring your own as well as the indcashion your alowed Alcahol thogh im not 100% cirten on that informashion

Cobaltkun
SFL New User

Post by Cobaltkun » Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:13 pm

I was planning on going in the morning, spend the day in London and start lineing up at 5ish :P

Mart
SFL New User

Post by Mart » Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:58 pm

Lining up at 5? I know it's going to be packed but, eeeeesh... If everyone has pre-booked and already has their tickets, is there going to be that much of a queue?

The Editor
SFL Active Member

Post by The Editor » Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:36 pm

As has been already stated, you should be able to pick up your tickets at any time between now and the festival, just don't lose them or forget them on the night!!!

I would advise against queuing up too early, as there is no point. There are lots of other films showing, and although it helps create a nice buzzy atmosphere, the fun goes out if it too packed. You could always catch one of the other great films that are showing. there is also the mini-cine and talkeoke. We have staggered the starting times of the allnighters to avoid too much of a crush. The anime all-nighter is by far the biggest event of the weekend, (and with that line-up is it any wonder?) So we hope to get you all seated before the other ones start lining up.

If you must bring your own food just make sure it is not smelly. Not everyone likes the aroma of onions, garlic, ripe cheeses and so on. It's all about consideration for others and the environment, ie not taking food that is going to spill over the plush new seats and carpets and stink out the salon. With all the discarded trainers it is going to be close enough as it is. This is a great new venue for us and we would like to able to use it again.

You will be supplied with free Red Bull, Purbeck's ice cream, muffins and coffee at various stages throughout the night.

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:12 pm

I second all that has been suggested here...

and just on the point of Booze ShinjiSan... the Apollo has a licensed bar and they like to sell theirs.. However, the bar closes at midnight. Policy is no booze can be brought in form outside - and besides, it will spoil the atmosphere created by the mellow fellows around you!

Just to let those who do not know the venue - it is comfy comfy! - and next door is a Tesco metro - whilst I dont like their corporate attitude for buying donuts, biscuits and other sugar filled things - well... they are close.

We will be posting an All-nighter Etiquette soon - read it and it will help you survive the night.

Finally, as Editor said, there will be no need to queue. It will be busy but not insane. We have a few surprises in store too, so anytime is good to arrive - if you get in earlier come see a movie or three!

Louis

Ollie
SFL Member

Post by Ollie » Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:55 pm

Are the MST3K fans going to mix in with the Anime fans. I would love to meet some people who could get me interested in Anime as at the moment my experiences have been mostly negative.

Shinji Ikari
SFL Pro

Post by Shinji Ikari » Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:58 pm

Lets see what we can do about that then ok

The Editor
SFL Active Member

Post by The Editor » Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:46 am

Are those negative experiences with the fans or the films? Anime is just Japanese animation, and like any other animation there is good and bad. Cartoon Network and such have a lot of really bad cartoons, but also some excellent ones (Atomic Betty and Teen Titans spring to mind). The other thing with anime is it aimed at Japanese viewers, so a lot of the cultural references go over our heads. In the course of my work over the last three years, I have watched a lot of animation, from all over the world, some good, some bad and some absolutely amazing, and I would say, without doubt, that some of the best has come out of Japan, both in terms of story and execution. This year's anime all-nighter is probably the best collection of contemporary anime you will see anywhere at one time. OK, there's no Miyazaki, but there are only so many hours in a night. Last year's festival hit was Steamboy, which has just been released on DVD, and that too is a marvel to see. Keep checking the DVD reviews on this site for recommendations.

Ollie
SFL Member

Post by Ollie » Sun Apr 16, 2006 12:10 pm

it's with the films. I've been shown Animes (I can't remeber there names) which were a little too 'out there' for my taste. I must admit though, they do tend to look gorgeous.

Shinji Ikari
SFL Pro

Post by Shinji Ikari » Sun Apr 16, 2006 1:28 pm

Ok Im going to argue with Atomic Betty thats terrible now if you was to say Megas XLR yes thats defontl one of there best thogh when it comes to Teen Titans theres only one real set of eps to wach and there the ones with Mad Mod its Like waching a clasic Monty phython withg a twist

perfecto2002
SFL New User

Post by perfecto2002 » Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:17 am

I have a few questions about the anime all-nighter as well so here goes:

- Roughly what time in the morning will it be finishing?
- What breaks/intermissions are there?
- What sort of crowd do you get attending this event?

I ask the last question because I am having to go on my own due to my mates either working or having no money :( but the lure of seeing GITS2 and FF7AC on the big screen was too much so I just had to buy a ticket :) Oh yeah one more question - How far away is the Trocadero centre from the cinema? As I've heard it's quite a cool place to visit - Thanks.

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:28 am

Hey Perfecto...

You will be very welcome, the anime crowd are particularly friendly... and we have the MANGAWALL - a great place to chat... as is TALKAOKE! Oh, there is so much!

See you on the the night

The Editor
SFL Active Member

Post by The Editor » Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:31 am

Originally posted by perfecto2002
How far away is the Trocadero centre from the cinema? As I've heard it's quite a cool place to visit - Thanks.
The Trocadero is five minutes walk away. Whether it is a cool place to visit is a debatable matter.

Shinji Ikari
SFL Pro

Post by Shinji Ikari » Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:52 pm

- Roughly what time in the morning will it be finishing?

Aprox 8 - 9am sunday morning

- What breaks/intermissions are there?

Drinks dreak at the end of each feacher ushaly

- What sort of crowd do you get attending this event?

Anime Nuts like me and its llways a sell out #)