anime all nighter april-may 2010

Give your thoughts, suggetions and stories
EdZ
SFL New User

Re: anime all nighter april-may 2010

Post by EdZ » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:13 pm

penfold wrote:1. Redline
Hurray! Can't say I'm particularly enthused about Shounen Jump Series X: The Movie, or another Type-Moon adaptation from Deen, but there's still a fifth film to be announced. Not sure I can justify the ticket price for only one film though.
penfold wrote:Manga Entertainment UK, the 2010 MANGA all-nighter.
Did I miss something in previous years, or have things suddenly gone all company branded?

goddessofwings
SFL New User

Post by goddessofwings » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:53 am

What date will the all nighter be on?

penfold
SFL Member

Post by penfold » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:05 am

Touka wrote:No Evangelion 2.0? What happened to the chances being pretty good? :[
OK, I can't say much at the moment but apart from Eva2's screenings at various festivals so far it will be making an appearance in the capital in the next few months. Though it may not be with SFL, it's still good news for Evangelion fans.

sfl.admin
Site Admin

Post by sfl.admin » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:23 pm

goddessofwings wrote:What date will the all nighter be on?
Allignters will on Saturday, 1st of May.

Touka
SFL New User

Post by Touka » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:45 pm

penfold wrote:
Touka wrote:No Evangelion 2.0? What happened to the chances being pretty good? :[
Ha, typical. Post up a big announcement - well ahead of the game I might add - that the big cheeses have snagged us four damn good movies and the first response is a complaint.
It's not a complaint, I'm just wondering is all. I could never complain about Sci-Fi London or the Anime All-Nighter, you guys are the only ones that do this afterall, so I'll gladly take it as it comes. Just a little disappointed Evangelion isn't on the list as I've been hyped to see it. Thanks for the news about it appearing in London soon though. I'll look out for it.

donmurray29
SFL Member

Post by donmurray29 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

the line up so far, at least I got two right, hope we get at least two more, maybe, that redline sounds like Tailenders if anyone has seen it

Fiend-kun
SFL Member

Post by Fiend-kun » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:24 am

Redline seems like the one for me this year.

Dead Leaves/Cat Soup-esque high visuals, an energetic mix of Wacky Races with a Gorillaz music video, like a hyperactive lovechild between Leiji Matsumoto and Jamie Hewlitt.

I'm bummed for EVA 2.0, especially with SFL's Eva track record of EOE and 1.11 so far. Maybe we can get a run of it for Octoberfest... Please, Jerome?!

I'm not entirely keen of making a day trip to london for 2.0, paying Barbican or ICA prices. That said, I have seen Princess Mononoke and Death Note at those respective venues. I'd just miss nuzzling down into the seats of the Apollo.

penfold
SFL Member

Post by penfold » Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:26 pm

OK, as well as these 4 full length features there may - or may not - be either a short or an episode of something added in to the line-up as a fifth item, but it's not for sure yet.
Fiend-kun wrote:I'm not entirely keen of making a day trip to london for 2.0, paying Barbican or ICA prices. That said, I have seen Princess Mononoke and Death Note at those respective venues. I'd just miss nuzzling down into the seats of the Apollo.
I gotta admit the only thing that really puts me off the ICA is those god awful seats. Any film over 90 minutes and my back starts complaining something chronic. Barbican isn't much better either. Years of the Apollo's comfy seats must have spoilt me somewhat. ;D

istari
SFL New User

Post by istari » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:18 pm

Eva 1 and 2, Stormy Night, Welcome to the Space Show, Summer Wars, Professor Layton and the Eternal Diva, Chocolate Underground, and K20: The Fiend with 20 Faces; are all showing at the NFT in London at various times on the weekend of the 21-23 May for their Anime Weekend. Tickets wont be available to book for a week or two and I'm not sure when information will appear on their website.

Fiend-kun
SFL Member

Post by Fiend-kun » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:09 pm

My google powers appear to be weak.

Link please!

istari
SFL New User

Post by istari » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:11 am

Fiend-kun wrote:My google powers appear to be weak.

Link please!
None, they send programs out and the May one came today.

Fiend-kun
SFL Member

Post by Fiend-kun » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:45 am

istari wrote:Eva 1 and 2, Stormy Night, Welcome to the Space Show, Summer Wars, Professor Layton and the Eternal Diva, Chocolate Underground, and K20: The Fiend with 20 Faces; are all showing at the NFT in London at various times on the weekend of the 21-23 May for their Anime Weekend. Tickets wont be available to book for a week or two and I'm not sure when information will appear on their website.
istari wrote:
Fiend-kun wrote:My google powers appear to be weak.

Link please!
None, they send programs out and the May one came today.
Okay... how might one procure a program, then? Are you in on the event or something? Isn't NFT the old name for BFI as it goes?

I'm confused. I'm going to need some information I can actually facilitate if I'm going to have any chance of attending.

istari
SFL New User

Post by istari » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:42 am

The National Film Theatre is indeed an alternative/old name for the BFI Southbank cinema, http://www.bfi.org.uk/whatson/bfi_southbank. You can pick programs up from there and likely from other associated places. If you are a member they post these to you, I do not know if there is another way to receive it. There is a bi-annual Anime Weekend there where they show several Anime and Manga related films. For instance two years ago they screened 5cm Per Second and had a discussion and Q&A with the director Shinkai. According to the May program released today, this year the event takes place on the weekend of the May 21st. All the films are shown on their own (there is no all-nighter type arrangement). Beginning with Eva 1 and 2 of Friday the 21st at 18.30 and 20.45, joint tickets can be purchased at a lower price. Then on Saturday the 22nd is Stormy Night at 15.00, Welcome to the Space Show at 17.30, and Summer Wars 20.40. On Sunday the 23rd is Professor Layton and the Eternal Diva at 15.30, Chocolate Underground at 18.10, and K20: The Fiend with 20 Faces at 20.10. Both Stormy Night and Professor Layton have a reduced price for children of £1. Ticket prices for each film vary depending on age and such between 5 and 10 pounds. Unless they change, all the films are showing in NFT1 which is a large auditorium with a big screen and large seats, you can't eat in the show and they are fairly strict on performance rules. Champions members can book on April 5th, normal members on the 6th and public on the 13th, all at 11.30 am. Based on the two shows I went to last time, the event is popular but not overwhelmingly so, unless they are moved to a smaller screen (NFT2/3/Studio), I think it is unlikely to sell out quickly, though I might be wrong. Like the Sci-Fi all-nighter they gave some goody bags and free gifts the last 2 times, but that was likely only luck. I imagine there will be more information available on the BFI website before booking opens in a couple of weeks.

That's everything I can think of.

Personally I am not interested in Fate-Stay Night and the Bleach movies, but Redline and Musashi look good and I'm crossing fingers for a fifth film. So am on the fence about attending this all-nighter, though I do feel the atmosphere/experience makes up for any bad films. From the BFI weekend I will certainly be aiming for Eva 2 and Summer Wars, as well as Space Show too.

donmurray29
SFL Member

Post by donmurray29 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:02 am

The info about the anime weekender for may is in the bfi booklet, as member, like me, I got mine this week so that is how the info is about, so I will be booking for eva and the rest next week when member booking starts.

penfold
SFL Member

Post by penfold » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:18 am

Sci-Fi-London's driving force is to bring you movies you probably wouldn't see elsewhere in the capital and with the likes of Eva2 and Summer Wars getting showings later in May then this would mean SFL hosting them as well would be a move away from from what the festival's all about.

It's worth checking out the NFT's website every now and again. They do some great films - often including anime - and have well kitted out screens with very comfy seats. I managed to get all the way through Steamboy - a film definitely 20 minutes too long - without any complaints about discomfort from either my arse or my companion. Even the smaller screens are in no way cramped. They also have a large number of Q&A's which are worth checking out. I managed to meet Matoko Shinkai when he was over for a showing of Voices of a Distant Star and even with my mangling of the Japanese language we still had a nice (quick) chat. I'll certainly be there in May for Eva2 and Summer Wars.