Sunshine - BEST FILM I'VE SEEN IN AGES!!!

Talk about the latest happenings in your local movie theatre...
why me why now
SFL Member

Post by why me why now » Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:57 pm

sorry if this is a repost - the damn search function won;t work for me...

i blagged a press screening of this last week, and i can tell you it's damn amazing.

without a doubt... DO NOT see this on some crappy small screen...You need the scale of it. The production values are something else...But it's not some 'empty' blockbuster like half the rubbish out there..
It's definitely not another disaster movie..Much more in line with Alien / 2001 etc...Classy as hell. Some seriously thought provoking stuff, not so much the science (although that is interesting), but more the human interaction stuff.

I am a big danny boyle supporter, although i wasn't a massive fan of the ending of 28DL..i still rate it highly as a film...Some of the set pieces (particularly the intro sequence in London and the tower block chase) were incredible...

As with sunshine, the thought-provoking stuff was actually quite early on. A lot of the same themes of claustrophobia and harsh-moral-decision-for-the-greater-good are present in both sunshine & 28DL

I mean ask yourself...Could you kill a loved one to save the rest of mankind? (that's the sort of thing the crew in sunshine face)

It's a simple, but genuinely intriguing moral dilemma...and the film's full of them

trust me - you have to see this one

:D

Shaun F
SFL Active Member

Post by Shaun F » Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:21 pm

Never heard of it untill you mentioned it here, so looked it up. Looks very interesting indeed and it certainly looks like its made for the big screen.

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:15 pm

Welcome aboard WMWN.

I am off to see it Tuesday, I heard it is a bit EVENT HORIZON in feel... I do hope it is better than that... who needs another horror-in-space movie (SUPERNOVA... argh!)

I recommend anyone who has not seen PAN'S LABYRINTH on the big screen to flog themselves in punishment and go find somewhere still screening it.

Louis

Ellioto Roboto
SFL New User

Post by Ellioto Roboto » Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:13 pm

*SPOILER ALERT?*

I might be wrong but as I understand it the premise is that the Sun is dying & that a mission is launched to fire a nuke into it to maintain it.

I haven't seen it, but having heard this synopsis I was quite annoyed.

The Sun is a ball of super heated burning hydrogen. It's hydrostatic, which means it won't deteriorate until it 'goes out' & it won't go out until it runs out of hydrogen. So if the sun is dying, presumably because it's running out of hydrogen, then how the hell is a nuclear explosion going to help? It doesn't need re-igniting! It needs re-fuelling!!!
At best that's going to cause a solar flare. Great! Is that the point? One last firework before we all die?

... I hope I've got the wrong end of the stick & there is an unexplained element that makes it all make sense.
I hear it's a beautifully made film, I just hope it doesn't lie about science, or I just won't be able to enjoy all the good stuff.

why me why now
SFL Member

Post by why me why now » Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:17 pm

Originally posted by Admin
Welcome aboard WMWN.

I am off to see it Tuesday, I heard it is a bit EVENT HORIZON in feel... I do hope it is better than that... who needs another horror-in-space movie (SUPERNOVA... argh!)

I recommend anyone who has not seen PAN'S LABYRINTH on the big screen to flog themselves in punishment and go find somewhere still screening it.

Louis

yeah - i had heard pans lab. is great. You strongly reccommend then i take it?

The Editor
SFL Active Member

Post by The Editor » Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:19 pm

Or enter the comp and be in with a chance to win a box set of del Toro films.

There was a science adviser from CERN onboard the film, ie advising the writer and director, so I'm sure they must have got the science right. But when has science fact ever stopped science fiction?

why me why now
SFL Member

Post by why me why now » Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:41 am

Originally posted by The Editor
There was a science adviser from CERN onboard the film, ie advising the writer and director, so I'm sure they must have got the science right. But when has science fact ever stopped science fiction?
haha - indeed
:D

I found this - interview with the science advice guy from the film:

http://www.sunshinedna.com/?p=180

Sunshine Science

I’ve put up an interview with Dr. Brian Cox, ‘Sunshine’s’ Science Advisor, in the Video Section. His job on ‘Sunshine’ involved discussing the science of the film with Danny Boyle and Alex Garland well before the script was completed in order to make sure that the concepts and terminology used were correct. The interview explains how the Sun could die prematurely.

The following was put together by Alex Garland after many discussions with Dr. Brian Cox. It explains, very simply, the background science in ‘Sunshine’.

Q: WHAT IS WRONG WITH THE SUN?

A: A Q Ball is eating the Sun from the inside out.

Q: WHAT’S A Q BALL?

A Q Ball is a super-symmetric nucleus, produced in the early Universe. That is to say, a nucleus made up of super-symmetric particles, formed shortly after the Big Bang.

Q: WHAT ARE SUPER-SYMMETRIC PARTICLES?

They are the super-symmetric counterpart to ordinary matter.

Q: WHAT IS ORDINARY MATTER?

Ordinary matter is what makes us up. Ordinary matter is constructed of atoms. The nucleus of an atom is constructed of protons and neutrons. Protons and neutrons are, in turn, composed of quarks.

Q: WHAT ARE QUARKS?

Quarks are elementary particles. Protons and neutrons are each composed of three quarks. The super-symmetric counterpart of a quark is a squark, and the Q Ball is composed of squarks.

Q: WHY IS THE Q BALL SO DANGEROUS TO THE SUN?

The protons and neutrons of ordinary matter would ‘rather’ be squarks. When ordinary matter is placed in close proximity to a Q Ball, the protons and neutrons are disrupted, ripped apart, and turned into squarks.

In other words, a Q Ball turns ordinary matter into itself. And unless it was stopped, this process would eat the Sun from the inside out, until a critical masa had been reached, at which point the Sun would explode.

Q: ARE SUPER-SYMMETRIC PARTICLES AND Q BALLS REAL?

This question should be answered by work that will be undertaken at CERN, the world’s largest particle physics laboratory, which has its headquarters in Geneva. In 2007, scientists will use the laboratory’s vast particle accelerator to search for super-symmetric particles. It is considered very likely that they will find them.

Q: IF Q BALLS EXIST, DO THE REALLY DESTROY STARS?

It is speculated that the origin of gamma-ray bursts may be the cataclysmic destruction of neutron stars by precisely this method. Gamma-rays are the most energetic form of light, and are produced by events such as supernova explosions.

Q: HOW WILL THE ICARUS MISSION STOP THE Q BALL FROM DESTROYING THE SUN?

The Icarus mission carries a Stellar Bomb, which it will detonate in the Sun. The bomb will destroy the Q Ball.

Q: HOW WILL THE STELLAR BOMB DESTROY THE Q BALL?

The bomb creates the same super-heated conditions in which the Q Ball was made. To be specific, Q Balls were formed at a particular time after the Big Bang: 10 to minus 35 seconds. The heat at this moment of the Big Bang was 10 to the power of 32 degrees.

By recreating these conditions, the Q Ball will split up, separating it into squarks. Squarks on their own decay quickly into normal or stable (benign) supersymmetric particles. Put simply, the Stellar Bomb makes the Q Ball fall to bits.

Q: WHAT IS THE STELLAR BOMB MADE OF?

Dark matter and Uranium. In the same way that an atomic bomb uses normal explosives to trigger uranium into a nuclear explosion, the stellar bomb uses uranium to trigger the dark matter.

In the film Sunshine, mankind has been able to construct two of these Stellar Bombs. The fact that the Stellar Bomb uses uranium is the reason that mankind is limited to only two payloads – because Earth does not contain enough uranium to build a third.

Q: WHAT IS DARK MATTER?

We don’t know, but we have considerable gravitational evidence that it exists. Simply put, the gravitational effects that we can observe in the Universe require much more matter than we can see. Because we can’t see this hidden matter, it has been termed ‘dark’. Dark matter might make up as much as 95% of the Universe.

It is widely speculated what dark matter actually is. Planets, dim stars, neutrinos, exotic particles, and weakly interacting massive particles. But Q Balls are a good candidate.

Q: ARE THERE ANY CAVEATS ABOUT THE SCIENTIFIC BACKGROUND TO THE FILM?

There are, not least because the film assumes that large areas of theoretical physics are correct. In addition, the Sun may not actually be dense enough to stop a Q Ball, but for the purposes of the film, we assume it is. Also, the rate of ‘eating’ is proportionate to the density of Sun - so the rate might be very slow.

why me why now
SFL Member

Post by why me why now » Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:25 pm

great new clip

http://www.sunshinedna.com/videos/19

check that CGI!!!!

~0 ~0 ~0

Shaun F
SFL Active Member

Post by Shaun F » Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:39 pm

CGI doth not a good film make

The Editor
SFL Active Member

Post by The Editor » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:45 pm

Ain't that the truth!!
Bladerunner - no CGI.
Brazil - No CGI.
Ultraviolet - CGI
Aeon Flux - CGI

What further evidence do you need?

why me why now
SFL Member

Post by why me why now » Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:56 am

Originally posted by The Editor
Ain't that the truth!!
Bladerunner - no CGI.
Brazil - No CGI.
Ultraviolet - CGI
Aeon Flux - CGI

What further evidence do you need?
specious

bladerunner had plenty of the equivalent in it's day

The Editor
SFL Active Member

Post by The Editor » Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:15 pm

Yes, but it's equivalent was practicals. Handcrafted sets and miniatures. OK how about this for a comparison:

Star Wars IV, V, VI - no CGI (the first time round)

Star Wars I, II, III - CGI

The first ones great stories (except the Ewoks, maybe) - the prequels, well the less said the better.

Shaun F
SFL Active Member

Post by Shaun F » Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:21 am

Although I do have to say one "up" for the CGI - King Kong. But then its a great story but that was character driven rather than just for the CGI.

The Editor
SFL Active Member

Post by The Editor » Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:31 am

And you have to admit that the original stop motion version was pretty spectacular for its time, and still has a certain charm even today. Will we say the same about CGI in 20 years time?

elle
SFL Active Member

Post by elle » Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:04 pm

CGI?..wot is the problem?..a computer is a tool...used as an office or creative tool..
the best CGI is done by artists, people who can DRAW.... that is a gift?

the latest Batman?..the producer wanted a man dragged at 180 miles an hour thro the air....possible without CGI?
just watched The Prestige again...CGI made it more exciting surely?.....
why is CGI frowned upon?...specially in sci-fi? fantasy and horror.....dont understand..why?

also the 'handcrafted sets' etc..an artist uses the p.c and handcrafts a moving picture over 1000's hours
they hand draw a spider or a car or wotever....and then make it move.... erm..problem, discuss