Sunshine - BEST FILM I'VE SEEN IN AGES!!!

Talk about the latest happenings in your local movie theatre...
Shaun F
SFL Active Member

Post by Shaun F » Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:46 pm

the main problem is that there are too many films who solely rely on CGI and badly done at that. Although anything can be carried with a decent script, there just seems to be an spate of easy to point at bad script/cgi combos :)

why me why now
SFL Member

Post by why me why now » Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:13 pm

Originally posted by The Editor
Yes, but it's equivalent was practicals. Handcrafted sets and miniatures. OK how about this for a comparison:

Star Wars IV, V, VI - no CGI (the first time round)

Star Wars I, II, III - CGI

The first ones great stories (except the Ewoks, maybe) - the prequels, well the less said the better.
ok - yes. i'll give you that. I love the grit and dirt of the original star wars's. Compare the shambolic state of the Mil. falcon to the shiny new ships. even the dirt looks clean these days

%)

elle
SFL Active Member

Post by elle » Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:03 pm

more discussion please... (the dirt is clean nowadays anyway in the west..withall the stuff sold to 'mop up' ):D

Was the original star wars that good or a product of its time?..a bible of morality? hippies etc...
and there is always gonna be crap films...and films that rely on effects...BUT still the sweeping statements about cgi?
if there is enough money..cgi will be used it is expensive..many man hours needed to accomplish it..
to handcraft and draw what is needed to fuel our imagination...
a thought...perhaps some of the disquiet comes from the sound nowadays..used to illustrate everything in a movie...
discuss? #)

why me why now
SFL Member

Post by why me why now » Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:04 pm

Originally posted by elle
more discussion please... (the dirt is clean nowadays anyway in the west..withall the stuff sold to 'mop up' ):D

Was the original star wars that good or a product of its time?..a bible of morality? hippies etc...
and there is always gonna be crap films...and films that rely on effects...BUT still the sweeping statements about cgi?
if there is enough money..cgi will be used it is expensive..many man hours needed to accomplish it..
a thought...perhaps some of the disquiet comes from the sound nowadays..used to illustrate everything in a movie...
discuss? #)
gah - why do you ask probing questions when i don;t have enough time to answer

:@ :@ :@

i will get on this and answer you asap

:p

elle
SFL Active Member

Post by elle » Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:10 pm

go on you know you want to ? #)

why me why now
SFL Member

Post by why me why now » Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:12 pm

go on you know you want to ? #)
sorry sorry sorry yes!

it;s on my list

!@#$

why me why now
SFL Member

Post by why me why now » Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:23 am

discuss? #)
ok - right....

I think the original star wars WAS that good. I am olf enough that i saw it in the cinema, but i was still in single figures. Compared to the other sci-fi that was around at the time (mostly schlocky US stuff) it was a breath of fresh air. No overt moralising, no overt romantic interest. This was ground-breaking and enchanting to a child at that time.

the design was also way ahead of it's time - it sounds stupid, but things like the asymmetry of the millennium falcon was stuff that i had never seen before, and i have read many things about how those sort of design decisions have influenced designers of my generation over and over again.

In any given period, the impact of cgi (or whatever is being used at that moment) is entirely dependent on the ability of the audience to suspend it's disbelief , and NOT on the quality of the effects being used. How else would you explain the collective gasp of amazement at jurassic park, when these days you wouldn;t even blink at it? The imagination, in relation to current context is everything imo, NOT the quality of the effects.

As far as music goes...well i'm a music producer so i'm happy for sound to play an ever increasing part in movies

:)

Shaun F
SFL Active Member

Post by Shaun F » Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:51 am

"is entirely dependent on the ability of the audience to suspend it's disbelief , and NOT on the quality of the effects being used" but if the effects are so bad it jars on the brain receptors that enable suspension of disbelief then its ruined the whole point of having the "effect"?

why me why now
SFL Member

Post by why me why now » Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:55 am

Originally posted by Shaun F
"is entirely dependent on the ability of the audience to suspend it's disbelief , and NOT on the quality of the effects being used" but if the effects are so bad it jars on the brain receptors that enable suspension of disbelief then its ruined the whole point of having the "effect"?
indeed - but what i'm saying is that 'bad effect' are only bad in relation to their current context. Ray harryhausen's effects look laughable these days right? But in the context of their time they were fantastic, and so the audience was able to swallow them without a problem.

Se what i mean?

Shaun F
SFL Active Member

Post by Shaun F » Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:28 pm

I can see where you are coming from, at the time they were fantastic but linked with a classic story too. Which is the point I was trying to make, sometimes you can accept "bad" visuals if the plot and story grab you. Effects laden movies with no plot can or can not be your cup of tea depending upon the entertainment threshold the viewer has :) So if the movie has great actors, great effects and a superb plot but with say a scientific flaw some people are still going to focus on that and hate the movie!

why me why now
SFL Member

Post by why me why now » Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:41 pm

Originally posted by Shaun F
I can see where you are coming from, at the time they were fantastic but linked with a classic story too. Which is the point I was trying to make, sometimes you can accept "bad" visuals if the plot and story grab you. Effects laden movies with no plot can or can not be your cup of tea depending upon the entertainment threshold the viewer has :) So if the movie has great actors, great effects and a superb plot but with say a scientific flaw some people are still going to focus on that and hate the movie!
yes agreed - i'm sure it's got something to do with which side of your brain is stimulated and how, but i'm too stupid to really explore that properly

~_~

smeagol
SFL New User

Post by smeagol » Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:58 pm

I have been looking forward to seeing this film for ages. It looks amazing, even from the teaser trailer that I've seen at the cinema. Does anybody know if there's an official site I can go to check out a better trailer?

why me why now
SFL Member

Post by why me why now » Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:09 pm

Originally posted by smeagol
I have been looking forward to seeing this film for ages. It looks amazing, even from the teaser trailer that I've seen at the cinema. Does anybody know if there's an official site I can go to check out a better trailer?
um..try http://www.sunshinedna.com and http://www.sunshinethemovie.co.uk/

why me why now
SFL Member

Post by why me why now » Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:28 am

oh nice...Just saw this too: http://www.sunshinemoments.co.uk/

Some lovely pix in there....

Also, interview with boyle in the guardian;

http://film.guardian.co.uk/interview/in ... 80,00.html

interesting to read this:

"We had this argument in the bar last night. He said it's absolutely critical we use nuclear power and Cillian said, 'What about the Irish sea? It's so polluted and there's all these leukaemia clusters.' And Cox went, 'If we use nuclear power we can give light and food to a million people in Africa and you're worried about a few hundred people in Ireland?'"

I'm more and more convinced that Boyle's principle interests lie in these human dilemmas, and his films are just different backdrops to explore what is basically the same idea each time

why me why now
SFL Member

Post by why me why now » Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:26 pm

just found this > http://www.myspace.com/sunshinemovie

More clips etc....interesting choice of top friends ;0)