The "Cinema Experience"

Talk about the latest happenings in your local movie theatre...
Shaun F
SFL Active Member

The "Cinema Experience"

Post by Shaun F » Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:05 am

These days it takes a lot to drag me out of my sofa to brave the mobile phones, domestic disturbance, loud conversations, laser pointers and popcorn throwers that constitutes a modern "cinema experience". Should cinema managers take greater measures or even actually have an usher sitting through the movie the ensure "good manners". I have to admit to only going to the cinema now to see movies that have that "big screen" impact and waiting for the rest on DVD after having too many visits spoilt by people who, it would appear, do not even want to see the movie but go there to ruin the enjoyment for others!!

ELLE

The "Cinema Experience"

Post by ELLE » Tue Aug 17, 2004 11:24 am

shaun f...... go to filmworks in greenwich to the 'gallery' it is £15 for big black leather armchairs free coffee, nachos and cheese, chocs, popcorn, coke in JUGS! as much as you want, a lounge where you can smoke if you want and NO KIDS (love em but couldnt eat a whole one !) it is divine and everyone goes to see the film ! and not bloody chat through it, oh and free parking and clean toilets ! see you there !!.. i dont have shares in filmworks, but i had stopped going to the flicks, same reasons as you... til i found film works !! great to see the action on a big screen, eat til you are sick and then get the dvd and listen to the script !!! try it ..'you know it makes sense' :-)

Shaun F
SFL Active Member

The "Cinema Experience"

Post by Shaun F » Wed Aug 18, 2004 5:45 pm

been there and done it :) but the gallery is only at the back of a normal cinema and does not stop "the rest" from carrying on as normal in the rows below (from my experience)

Macro
SFL New User

The "Cinema Experience"

Post by Macro » Wed Aug 18, 2004 6:22 pm

gallery you say? ^_^ might have to try that, tho not really local enough to. Will make a mental note :)

Although I agree, hate it when people spoil a movie...but on occasions they can be more entertaining that the film you went to see. went to the odeon in colchester once and this group of about 4 30-ish year olds came in, very very drunk... managed to fall over the floor, not the steps, the floor. Think the fact they started smoking was the last straw for the staff. Cant remember what film it was we went to see but i can remember them.

Shaun F
SFL Active Member

The "Cinema Experience"

Post by Shaun F » Thu Aug 19, 2004 10:30 am

in situations like that we usually demand to see the manager and either get a voucher or our money back. Amazing what you can get when you try.

ELLE

The "Cinema Experience"

Post by ELLE » Mon Aug 23, 2004 11:55 am

went to the gallery @ filmworks) on sat to see i.robot (again)... the trick is to go at about 6ish, not the late showing, go when most yobs are applying aftershave for a 'fight out' or on a thursday, when they are gettiong ready for'fridayfun' they do seem to be sheep doing things at the same time !!!..
only the film watchers are there..go early eat yourself silly and watch in peace..we saw on the way out the twerps gathering, all on sugar rushes ready to annoy others..have never had a prob there cos of the time we pick to go
also done the gallery @bluewater at the same times with no prob... but you are right if it all goes pear shaped get replacement tickets, i have done that for noise and cold....
next visit ..hellboys !.....

ELLE

The "Cinema Experience"

Post by ELLE » Mon Aug 23, 2004 12:02 pm

oh and another thing..seeing the 'bling' on a big screen is brilliant..but the best thing the gallery is so high up and the sound so loud that when the canners come out to attack in the tunnel the sound travels across the floor and through the seating and you can feel it !!!!..get right up in the back row and feel the noise !!!

world_is_yours
SFL New User

The "Cinema Experience"

Post by world_is_yours » Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:02 am

Thought I would bring an old post back to life :p

I also hate going to the cinema with lots of people...I avoid going to the cinema on a weekend and/or evenings...

I will usually go on a weekday morning if I have an oportunity (if work allows me :p )...

If I can't then I will go first thing Sunday morning to central London....the cinemas are usually empty or a hand full of people who actually want to see the film...

The Trocodero CineWorks is a great example....most Sundays its just me an a single old man....can't hear a pin drop :D

What I hate...are people who sit bolt up right in a seat...with a massive head...smelly food....talking...laughing at cinema jokes (jokes that are placed into films for simpletons to laught at)....mobile phones....the list could go on %)

Another great Cinema I have been using for ages is The Curzon Mayfair....a great atmosphere....would never find children/youths etc there....in my experience just plenty of old people who want to see the film...

ELLE

The "Cinema Experience"

Post by ELLE » Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:28 am

i do so know the scenario...people who go to the cinema to TALK....my fave time is about 5.30-6pm....in between times...
we have been to filmworks and sat alone in the gallery...full to bursting with goodies. (us)..
still think some movies need first watching on big screen big noise...X MEN etc need space?...
other more 'thoughtful' movies need small screen... #)

Shinji Ikari
SFL Pro

The "Cinema Experience"

Post by Shinji Ikari » Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:58 pm

My probs chavs mobiles going off then they make a load of racket then decied to start disterbing everyone else bloddy wankers should be shot all of them

ELLE

The "Cinema Experience"

Post by ELLE » Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:22 pm

maybe mobiles should be left at the door...(with the guns?)..and then the best bit would be watching the fight over them after the film..i would pay to see that ;)
'''''ere thats my bloddy blackberry/ mowbli etc''''
do agree tho that the time and place HAS to be picked to see movies.. and in the downstairs cinema among the ''chavs'' has to be avoided...
remember we saw al pacino ( #) mmmm) in the merchant of venice@ greenwich filmworks in the 'side' screen they use for selected screenings, foreign stuff etc..and it was packed, people sitting on the floor and even on the side stairs,and all as quiet as a mouse, but went to see it for the venice scenary and got the dvd for the words and close ups of the divine pacino #)
same with i robot, serenity, matrix etc....and as for alien 12345678 and on, the same....

p.s did love seeing the matrix 1234 allnighter @ sci fi festival..knowing every word and then eating and ~z~ thro the films, coming out @ 8am for breakfast was wild:)

world_is_yours
SFL New User

The "Cinema Experience"

Post by world_is_yours » Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:03 pm

Out of curiosity :D

In what order would you rate the Alien films...I always get into arguments with friends about this...:p

May favourites are Alien, Alien 3, Aliens, Alien 4: Resurrection, Aliens Vs Predator

Aliens is just too cheesy for me...too many one liners....just too american :p .....it's great fun....it's just the other two good Alien films stomp all over it....

Alien 3 is a great film...so underrated...the acting is great....sets are amazing...

Roosta
SFL Active Member

The "Cinema Experience"

Post by Roosta » Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:37 pm

I would rate the Alien films simply in the order that they were made.

Alien is by far and away the best film (though I can totally understand those who like Aliens more), and Alien 4 is pretty dire (haven’t seen AVP I'm afraid).

Alien 3 is unfairly dismissed by most, but actually isn’t that bad either. At least Fincher tried to do something different!

As for the whole cinema experience thing, have to agree with most, that using Mobiles is definitely beyond the pale in terms of ciniquette!

But we should also all be careful that we don’t turn into cinema snobs now!!!
:)
"TO THE SPACE GUN!!!"

Sark
SFL Member

The "Cinema Experience"

Post by Sark » Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:39 pm

Talking I really find annoying. People pointing out what the actors were also in (ie, Martin Freeman; it's that guy from 'The Office', yes we know). Maybe I'm being petty though.

To add my twopennith to the Alien sidetrack:
For me it's always a toss up between Alien and Aliens (depending on what mood I'm in). Alien is the superior 'film' in terms of suspense and cinematography and art direction (Oil rig in space, etc) but Aliens I can sit down and watch almost anytime. Then would come Alien 3, I liked it for it's 'down and out' qualities:

"First they sent miners, they were expendable. Then they sent in Marines, they were expendable too.
What makes you think they'll care about you?" (not an exact quote but there you go).

Alien 4, hmmm Roosta, you mentioned the 'Whedon' things in Alien: Resurrection a while ago. Care to expand on them? I find the only pleasure in this film is watching smug scientists saying they've got the aliens under control, only to have them break out. That, and the guns.

AvP. Very disappointing. For me the whole point was that Aliens and Predators are fairly evenly matched, that's why it's such a cool showdown. In the film, the Predators seemed a bit incompotent. Not enought aliens and predator action it it.

(Phew) I am opinionated today! That's got to be my longest post for a while now!
"I'm out of it for a little while, everyone gets delusions of grandeur"

Roosta
SFL Active Member

The "Cinema Experience"

Post by Roosta » Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:15 am

Wow this really is going off topic, but hey who cares.

About the whole Alien: Resurrection thing. Even though the film is pretty roundly dismissed as the rubbish that it is, if you watch it, and see it as a kind of Proto-Firefly, then it all starts to get a bit more interesting!

Obviously Whedon wrote Resurrection in 1997 and Firefly in 2002, so that’s the link, and perhaps its all just a big coincidence, but having a gang of mercenaries flying around in a ship is kind of similar.

I'm sure that I'm not the first person to see the vague connection, but hey, it's a point worth making I think!

Right, I'm now off to see if there are any connections between Toy Story and Buffy!!! :D

"TO THE SPACE GUN!!!"