Vaccuous AvP

Talk about the latest happenings in your local movie theatre...
Chaplain
SFL New User

Vaccuous AvP

Post by Chaplain » Tue Oct 05, 2004 8:39 am

As with many of you, I was looking forward to AvP with some trepidation.

Having been a fan of both universes, and a sometime reader of the Dark Horse
comics, my main thought was, "well, how much can they screw it up?"

The answer, if you were looking for any sort of serious extension to the mythologies
built up aound both antagonists, is quite a lot.

Having somehow blagged a seat in the TV and Radio pre-screening in Soho last week,
a friend and I were piled high with nibbles and wine before being shown to our seats.

I'm going to try and not put any spoilers in this, as the film is one anyway, but the film
is utterly gutless. Following a formulaic beginning of insulting proportions, (assembling
of an international cast to appeal to an international audience, plot device: "three week's
preparation" for a 2 minute car drive!) the building blocks from Alien, Predator, Indiana Jones,
StarGate and the Cube are all bundled together, without any redeeming qualities of any of them.

Then the "main event" kicks off with a lot of style, and suddenly everything is well. Poise, precision,
action, genuine menace, malicious intent, great visuals, and dreadlocks to die for. After four films of
watching humans essentially "running like ****", to see the Predators' "come on then" attitude
was fantastic.

However, after 15 minutes, possibly less, the film descends into a farce. Bill Bailey was sat
behind us, and his hair was more scarey!

The audience were laughing, heartily, for the last 45 mins. There's no suspense, either of disbelief,
or through any anticipation that something might happen to a character you care about. I was
half-expecting a Co-director credit by John Woo for all the slow-mo dreadlock-waving head turning:
all that was missing were the white doves!

If you follow Mark Kermode's view that a good comedy has ten good laughs, then that's
what this film is: a good comedy, and as such it did provoke a 2 hour converstaion
afterwards about how such a poor film could be so entertaining.

As an extension, or prelude to two sci-fi franchises with so, so much potential, it's very, very, disappointing.

AvP: Alien vs Predator: so bad it had to be written twice.

Shinji Ikari
SFL Pro

Vaccuous AvP

Post by Shinji Ikari » Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:57 pm

I have to agree waching it 3 weeks ago it was verry disapointing inded im sorry to say

jutshifter
SFL New User

Vaccuous AvP

Post by jutshifter » Wed Oct 27, 2004 10:56 am

I agree so much. It was a total let down.

*SPOILER*
I hated the bit when Lex and the Predator 'made friends'. I was sitting with all my mates laughing, we thought they were going to kiss at the end.

Crap.

Shaun F
SFL Active Member

Vaccuous AvP

Post by Shaun F » Tue Nov 23, 2004 12:11 pm

the question I always like to ask of fans of the two series is "what would YOU have done with it or what would YOU LIKE to have seen happen"

As a sci fi action film its not up there in the "awesome" category nor is it down in the complete tosh rent for a quid from the esso garage, maybe the problem is an expectation level from the fans, I mean come on, pred 2 was "average" compared to pred 1, and let not forget that all the aliens films were hardly classics with the exception of Alien which then swapped tp gung ho action for aliens!!

Shinji Ikari
SFL Pro

Vaccuous AvP

Post by Shinji Ikari » Tue Nov 23, 2004 6:47 pm

I personaly would have liked to of seen some marriens in the film so it felt a little more like the games

Shaun F
SFL Active Member

Vaccuous AvP

Post by Shaun F » Wed Nov 24, 2004 2:34 pm

I would have to disagree there, whilst the colonial marines are cool I think they would have detracted from the Alien vs Predator part rather than having AvPvC as you do in the videogames. I did like the way they plot took some of its ideas from the Dark Horse comics though.

Shinji Ikari
SFL Pro

Vaccuous AvP

Post by Shinji Ikari » Thu Nov 25, 2004 6:10 pm

I supose but when it comes to the games you have all 3 and it seems more fitting than Walen see I dont know how Walen worked in the film as I do beleave when they became walen utarnie in the alian films they only just descovered the Exsitace of the alians thogh by this film it makes them look like they always knew about them :?

Shaun F
SFL Active Member

Vaccuous AvP

Post by Shaun F » Wed Dec 01, 2004 12:30 pm

It would explain why they are so hardcore about always trying to bring back a sample or use them as they are the enemy of the predators who killed the boss.

zcarstheme
SFL New User

Vaccuous AvP

Post by zcarstheme » Mon Dec 13, 2004 11:05 pm

I actually didn't see it.

If you'd have told me two years ago that I wouldn't go and see an AvP movie at the flicks, I'd have laughed you out of town.

As it was, I just kept thinking..

PG-13. From the director of Mortal Kombat.

And somehow I couldn't bring myself to put my money down.

Shinji Ikari
SFL Pro

Vaccuous AvP

Post by Shinji Ikari » Tue Dec 14, 2004 2:23 am

Originally posted by zcarstheme
I actually didn't see it.

If you'd have told me two years ago that I wouldn't go and see an AvP movie at the flicks, I'd have laughed you out of town.

As it was, I just kept thinking..

PG-13. From the director of Mortal Kombat.

And somehow I couldn't bring myself to put my money down.
Trust me you did the right thing

Roosta
SFL Active Member

Vaccuous AvP

Post by Roosta » Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:45 am

I thought exactly the same thing, and yet I am still confused about why I didnt go and see it!

It just came and went and I didnt even blink!
"TO THE SPACE GUN!!!"

Shinji Ikari
SFL Pro

Vaccuous AvP

Post by Shinji Ikari » Wed Dec 15, 2004 12:16 am

Your not the only one a lot of people said the same infact in the us it was out on DVD no sooner than it had been out in the cinima