Neuromancer on the big screen at last?

Talk about the latest happenings in your local movie theatre...
Shaun F
SFL Active Member

Neuromancer on the big screen at last?

Post by Shaun F » Mon May 21, 2007 2:58 pm

click here to read the article

Although I wonder about the author as he slags of the "love interest" and yet hollywood are not "adding" it , WG wrote it in the book, sometimes it does make you wonder?

the-mental-one
SFL Member

Post by the-mental-one » Wed May 30, 2007 1:18 pm

See I've always like Neuromancer and pretty much all of WG's work as well as other cyberpunk such as some of the classics by Peter Hamilton and Steampunk such as some of Bruce Sterling has done I keep thinking back to what they made of Johnny Mnemonic and I squirm slightly...I mean it was a movie I can still sit through and veg out to it's just not good enough, not good enough at all. Plus if he is the director I shudder to think what it's going to be like...

Shaun F
SFL Active Member

Post by Shaun F » Wed May 30, 2007 5:59 pm

We can but hope that they get something about it right, even though WG was involved with Johnny as well as a series called Wild Palms as it goes. Fingers crossed they get at least some of it right and not screw up the character of Molly Millions they same way they did in Johnny. However rumour has it they messed with Molly in Johnny to preserve the character for this movie!

the-mental-one
SFL Member

Post by the-mental-one » Wed May 30, 2007 6:24 pm

Well if that's why I guess I can forgive them a little more, and I know he helped with it just didn't think the visuals were entirely up to it. Hopefully things have improved in leaps and bounds so they can do stuff more justice. I mean can you imagine the Sprawl or Chiba? I don't think it would have been able to live up to my minds eye view purely on technicalities now they stand a chance at not being too much of a disappointment. All we need now is for them not to trash it, dumb it down and turn it into a mindles action flick...

The Editor
SFL Active Member

Post by The Editor » Wed May 30, 2007 7:27 pm

According to Gibson the film of Johnny Mnemonic is not the same as the screenplay he wrote or what the director shot, as the studio got hold of it and did their own version. Well that's his excuse. Gibson's coming to London soon so we may get a chance to ask him in person.

Paul Jacques
SFL Member

Post by Paul Jacques » Wed May 30, 2007 10:17 pm

The Editor wrote:According to Gibson the film of Johnny Mnemonic is not the same as the screenplay he wrote or what the director shot, as the studio got hold of it and did their own version. Well that's his excuse. Gibson's coming to London soon so we may get a chance to ask him in person.
Well someone needs to find why Johnny sucked so badly: I've always felt that it was unfair to blame Keanu when everyone else in the film looked even less comfortable delivering their lines. And they really should have left the dolphin out as it was an idea too silly to work on the big screen. And a note to self Mr Longo, "I must not employ music artists as actors".

Shaun F
SFL Active Member

Post by Shaun F » Thu May 31, 2007 10:57 am

Although the dolphin was in the book :)

WG coming to London eh, cool! Met him when he was here on a book tour for "parties".

Paul Jacques
SFL Member

Post by Paul Jacques » Thu May 31, 2007 8:59 pm

Shaun F wrote:Although the dolphin was in the book :)

WG coming to London eh, cool! Met him when he was here on a book tour for "parties".
I know, but I chose my words carefully- big screen, rubber dolphin in fish tank, not going to work. Really, I mean, who didn't titter when they saw the dolphin? Surely someone in the Production team thought "that looks a bit silly". Granted it didn't seem silly in the book.

Shaun F
SFL Active Member

Post by Shaun F » Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:30 am

Have to say I did not titter at all, we must find different things "titterable" :)

Paul Jacques
SFL Member

Post by Paul Jacques » Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:26 pm

Shaun F wrote:Have to say I did not titter at all, we must find different things "titterable" :)
I like Frankie Howard, so I'm prone to tittering :lol:

Shaun F
SFL Active Member

Post by Shaun F » Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:39 pm

Now thats a fact, frankie howard elevated that to an art form. the new WG book is out tomorrow and I have my ticket to see him at the end of the month.

Paul Jacques
SFL Member

Post by Paul Jacques » Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:42 pm

Shaun F wrote:Now thats a fact, frankie howard elevated that to an art form. the new WG book is out tomorrow and I have my ticket to see him at the end of the month.
Let me know how the book reads, I may be tempted to pop along as well.

Shaun F
SFL Active Member

Post by Shaun F » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:35 am