Tin Tin movie - some cast, writers and director...

Talk about the latest happenings in your local movie theatre...
billy
SFL Member

Tin Tin movie - some cast, writers and director...

Post by billy » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:34 pm

I'm not sure how much of this has been common knowledge for how long, but this popped up on twitter just now (where sci-fi-london has an account) and I was rather impressed. Impressed enough to need a bulleted list:
  • Directed by Steven Spielberg, produced by Peter Jackson
  • With Jamie Bell (Tintin), Daniel Craig (Red Rackham)
  • Also Andy Serkis, Simon Pegg, Nick Frost, Gad Elmaleh, Toby Jones and Mackenzie Crook.
  • Based on 'The Secret of The Unicorn'
  • Written by Steven Moffat, Edgar Wright and Joe Cornish
  • First in a series of motion captured animated features, the next to be directed by Peter Jackson
I claim this as sci-fi because Destination Moon and Explorers on The Moon are excellent and involve science, fiction and spaceships.
This all looks like a rather good start to me, although I expect to hear 'real' fans of Tintin denouncing it soon enough.

On coming soon

Anyone have any ideas who might be Captain Haddock, Professor Calculus or the Thomson twins in the list above? I'm guessing Andy Serkis is a shoe-in for snowy, although Nick Frost might end up doing the voice...

Roosta
SFL Active Member

Re: Tin Tin movie - some cast, writers and director...

Post by Roosta » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:38 pm

Heard this on BBC Radio 5 Live today.

According to them it's a trilogy, with 3 different Directors, Serkis is playing Haddock (- fairly common knowledge I think), and Simon Pegg and Nick Frost will be the Thomson Twins (erm... :?:).

Not sure about the Motion Capture side though. But then perhaps a 3D IMAX version, a la Beowulf, is on the cards?

Either way, a movie is always better with Toby Jones in it! :mrgreen:
"TO THE SPACE GUN!!!"

billy
SFL Member

Re: Tin Tin movie - some cast, writers and director...

Post by billy » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:50 am

I also found out that Professor Calculus doesn't appear until part 2 in the books (and it's only a two parter in book form, so who knows if they'll stretch this story out to 3 parts or graft on a new third act) so they probably haven't even cast him yet.

There was a suggestion on twitter yesterday that keeping the series going after 3 films with a different director at the front each time would be rather cool, and it sounds interesting. Not sure who they can get to follow Spielberg and Jackson though...

John Waters's Tintin and the Crab with the Golden Claws
Sergio Leone's Tintin in America
Prisoners of the Sun, a Spike Lee joint
Paul Greengrass's Flight 714

?