Y-Wings – worst spaceship ever created?

Talk about the latest happenings in your local movie theatre...
Heebie
SFL Member

Y-Wings – worst spaceship ever created?

Post by Heebie » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:46 am

Or are there other hunks of junk out in the cosmos less capable of causing harm to invading forces?

billy
SFL Member

Re: Y-Wings – worst spaceship ever created?

Post by billy » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:30 pm

At least the Y-Wing has some sense to its design - what about the B-Wing? Big taily bit trailing of into the distance with little purpose apart from to make the craft difficult to visualise when flying. The unwieldiness of the ship has even been written into Star Wars lore...

I'm surprised Lucas and his designers let it pass (even if it does look quite cool, which Y-Wings really don't), although with the strange wheeled things that appeared in the new trilogy I shouldn't really be surprised by any of the vehicle designs.

Roosta
SFL Active Member

Post by Roosta » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:55 pm

B-Wings have a rotating cockpit. This makes them cool in my book (- I'm easily pleased!). - Why they're called B-Wings however, remains a mystery!

Y-Wings on the other hand, well. Anyone who's ever played any of the old Rogue Squadron games will tell you: they're ugly, a heap of junk to fly, and only saved by their somewhat tough armour (- I do realise that I'm taking about a fictional ship here, and how stupid that sounds!).

And, at the risk of annoying the entire Browncoat community, (so I'll say this quietly!): I don't think Serenity is pretty at all! :shock:
"TO THE SPACE GUN!!!"

Heebie
SFL Member

Post by Heebie » Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:49 pm

I actually have a strange love for the B-wing.

Back in the eighties, the B-wing (with its affore-mentioned rotating cockpit) was my favourite toy - along with its red-suited pilot.

That man saved the universe more times than the entire Skywalker clan on my planet!

(Yeah, I still don't know why it was actually CALLED a B-Wing though)

billy
SFL Member

Post by billy » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:58 pm

I also rather like the B-Wing (and coveted the toy for many years, especially after my brother ripped the wings of my X-Wing...he has never been forgiven), but it doesn't stop it being a little bit on the silly side.

As for why, according to the wookiepedia article it's because they introduced two new spaceships in Return of The Jedi, codenamed A and B. The A-wing luckily looked like an A, but the B-Wing just stuck with its nickname anyway. They claim the in-universe reason is that they were 'Blade Wings"...

Ellioto Roboto
SFL New User

Post by Ellioto Roboto » Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:24 pm

Better a Y-Wing than a Z-95. Or one of those Romulan cabbage class cruisers. Seriously, "Cabbage Class"? They can't have named those themselves. Never let your enemies name your ships.

Personally I think everything looks bad when compared to a White Star, or that fighter from The Last Starfighter with the spinning death move. Any ship that can do that just wins outright.

billy
SFL Member

Post by billy » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:31 am

Unce Billy's recommendation of the day - don't watch The Last Starfighter again. I have blocked most of the memory of the last time, but a lingering sensation of a film that has aged significantly worse than I was hoping remains.

Heebie
SFL Member

Post by Heebie » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:46 pm

I reckon Starbug could out-gun a Y-wing.