Most preachy film?

Talk about the latest happenings in your local movie theatre...
Heebie
SFL Member

Most preachy film?

Post by Heebie » Thu May 14, 2009 11:02 am

I just watched the remake of The Day the Earth Stood Still and, okay, it wasn’t as good as the original, it wasn’t that bad either. I just got a bit ‘yawnful’ at the end where ‘the message’ to the cinema audience was hammered down my throat about saving the planet etc. I just felt it was a bit preachy.

Are there any other blatantly moral films out there I should avoid? (I’m doing quite a good job at not watching Al Gore’s An Inconvenient Truth).

The Editor
SFL Active Member

Re: Most preachy film?

Post by The Editor » Thu May 14, 2009 12:58 pm

WALL-E was a bit like that too after its amazing silent opening, but then it was aimed at kids.

Heebie
SFL Member

Post by Heebie » Thu May 14, 2009 1:02 pm

I haven't seen that one. I wrote a book about a droid on a far-flung planet a couple of years ago then that film came out and totally stole my thunder - damn you Pixar! :evil:

scifigene
SFL New User

Post by scifigene » Thu May 14, 2009 11:04 pm

Have to say while the original Day The Earth Stood Still is an awesome and original film, the preaching in it is pretty crude too - both the Christian and the anti-nuke pro-UN messages are all but delivered straight to camera. Incidentally I haven't got round to either the remake or the mockbuster version yet - which is worth the trouble of seeing?
sci-fi-gene.blogspot.com

Heebie
SFL Member

Post by Heebie » Fri May 15, 2009 9:14 am

Keanu's TDTESS isn't bad if it's looked at as a film in its own right. It has its moments and some nice touches. But the whole point of the original was that it was set in the Cold War years where the possibility of humanity wiping itself out with nuclear weapons was more likely.

Now, you kind of get the impression humanity isn't that bad any more so why obliterate us?!

billy
SFL Member

Post by billy » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:01 am

I've not seen either version yet, but I've heard that Michael Haneke's 'Funny Games' may take the prize. Originally done in german and then remade pretty much shot for shot in english so that Haneke could reach his 'target market' it's meant to be a film that has a spectre of the director floating above it, pointing an accusatory finger at the audience saying 'This film has horrible content in it which I didn't want to make. However, you, the audience, wants it so I will let you see it. However, it is not good and it is your fault. You are complicit. You are to blame'.

I imagine the voice-over being done by Werner Herzog.

I need to see one of the films - I've been mumbling about them for so long now that I really hope that I do get the sense that it's a preachy film or I'm going to feel rather stupid.