Drag Me To Hell

Talk about the latest happenings in your local movie theatre...
billy
SFL Member

Drag Me To Hell

Post by billy » Wed May 27, 2009 7:42 am

There's a review up on the main site and I'm off to see it this evening - anyone else seen it or have any thoughts about Mr Raimi's new film?

So far, based solely on reviews and the buzz around it, I've preemptively forgiven him for the Spiderman films, which I'm starting to think may have been a little rash...

billy
SFL Member

Re: Drag Me To Hell

Post by billy » Thu May 28, 2009 11:08 am

Raimi remains forgiven - it was rather good. Started well but slacked off on the jumpy bits as it went on and got slightly more ridiculous. Still a good slice of old school shocky horror, with a load of "look what we could have done in Evil Dead if we'd had more cash" moments. Thoroughly good fun.

the-mental-one
SFL Member

Post by the-mental-one » Fri May 29, 2009 12:55 pm

sounds cool, I ended up at the cinema last night. My friend wanted to go but he can't do horror movies, refused to watch Night at the Museum 2 and I'd already seen Coraline and Star Trek...so I caved and finally watched Wolverine. Not bad but not brilliant, some bits were spectacular and others were just wrong. Weird mix really and I'd have probably much preferred an old school slightly silly shock horror movie, plus I generally like a Raimi film ;)

Not saying I don't like comic book movies, more that they never seem to live up to my expectations, my horror expectations are generally so low that they almost always manage to do what they say on the tin :P

Of course having now been to two movies within a week I probably shouldn't go and watch another one for a while and there's so many things coming out I'll want to watch at the cinema. Transformers, Terminator, HP6 (if only because my sister will kill me if I don't watch it with her as no-one else will), Blood, etc so my question here is would you recommend watching Drag Me To Hell at the cinema or reckon it'd be o.k. to wait for it to come out on DVD?

billy
SFL Member

Post by billy » Fri May 29, 2009 11:11 pm

I'd watch Drag Me To Hell in the cinema - having it big and boomy on a big screen with big speakers will definitely make you jump more, which is mainly the point. I think it'll work well on DVD as well, but not as well as on the big screen.

Those other three films are definitely cinema films as well though...I reckon you should just go to the cinema more :)

The Editor
SFL Active Member

Post by The Editor » Sat May 30, 2009 12:32 pm

If you have a Cineworld near you then it is worth getting one of their passes so you can go as often as you like. Why don't more cinemas offer these to encourage people to go? As we all know, they make most of their money from the overpriced popcorn and dodgy snacks, so getting more people through their doors makes sense.

the-mental-one
SFL Member

Post by the-mental-one » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:27 am

The Editor wrote:If you have a Cineworld near you then it is worth getting one of their passes so you can go as often as you like. Why don't more cinemas offer these to encourage people to go? As we all know, they make most of their money from the overpriced popcorn and dodgy snacks, so getting more people through their doors makes sense.
That sounds cool, but unfortunately Guildford has an Odeon...although maybe in future the old cinema may re-open as an arthouse cinema. Depends on who manages to buy the place. Maybe in the future more people will feel as Cineworld does ;)