Total Recall movie 'to be remade'

Talk about the latest happenings in your local movie theatre...
Heebie
SFL Member

Total Recall movie 'to be remade'

Post by Heebie » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:40 am

Arnold Schwarzenegger's 1990 sci-fi thriller Total Recall is being remade, according to reports.
Trade newspaper The Hollywood Reporter said Kurt Wimmer, who penned the 1999 version of The Thomas Crown Affair, is currently working on a script.
Film studio Columbia Pictures, which secured the film's rights in February, has said the remake will be a "contemporised adaptation".
It has not been announced who is being considered for the lead role.
The original film was based on the Philip K Dick story We Can Remember It for You Wholesale.
It follows a man who is haunted by a recurring dream of travelling to Mars - where he has never been - and a woman he has never met.
The ultra-violent film, from the creators of Alien, has since become a cult classic.
Sharon Stone and Rachel Ticotin also starred in the movie.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8080966.stm

The Editor
SFL Active Member

Re: Total Recall movie 'to be remade'

Post by The Editor » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:39 am

What!? Why? It's great the way it is and has one of Arnie's best movie lines, to match "I'll be back", when he shoots Sharon Stone and says "Consider this a divorce".

But is it a remake of the film or a new adaptation of the book? Hopefully the latter.

billy
SFL Member

Post by billy » Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:25 am

This has been bubbling under the surface for a while - from what I heard a while back it's a redo of the film. I don't have any particular problem with a new version being made, I just don't see the point. That said, it'll make money whatever, so there's the point...

As for re-adapting the book, the film isn't really an adaptation anyway - it just takes the idea, a few set pieces and then turns it into an action movie. The original is a thought experiment short story (as I remember it, I think I need to dig it out of the book pile) which might work as a short, but wouldn't expand out into a feature without something akin to the "rewrite" that the original gave it.

An Arnie sci-fi/fantasy all-nighter for the next festival? Total Recall, Running Man, 6th Day, Terminators 1 & 2, Eraser, Predator, Conan, Hercules in New York. You might even be able to count Junior as one...

Heebie
SFL Member

Post by Heebie » Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:36 am

billy wrote:Conan, Hercules in New York. You might even be able to count Junior as one...
I liked how you left Terminator 3 off your list! :lol:

billy
SFL Member

Post by billy » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:55 am

I saw Terminator 3 in the cinema when it came out and my only comment that I've ever really made about it is that I saw it with a friend of mine who worked at CERN. When the film had finished I jokingly asked him if the particle accelerator that they all run around at one part of the movie was anything like his one, to which he replied that apart from the amount of blue neon and the size it was very much like theirs and he was surprised by that one potentially accidental piece of accuracy.

Making further comment on the film would involve me thinking about it again, which is something that I don't think my poor and fragile brain wants me to do.

the-mental-one
SFL Member

Post by the-mental-one » Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:00 pm

*studiously ignores all T3 talk*

One more jump on the band wagon of remaking classics. Of course no-one really bothers remaking something that was considered bad because they'd rather screw with something that made money or was considered good by critics.

Not that I thought Total Recall was brilliant but it has it's place in movie history and a remake seems redundant. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised by it but I doubt it, I'd much rather see a short based more on the original story. Anyone else up for that? If we time it to release at the same time as this remake it'd probably do quite well. I'm not a film maker in any sense of the word but it'd be an interesting challenge and it's not like we don't have budding film makers frequenting SFL ;)

Heebie
SFL Member

Post by Heebie » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:12 am

the-mental-one wrote:Of course no-one really bothers remaking something that was considered bad
I've always thought that.

There are so many films out there that leave me thinking, 'That had a really good concept etc, but just wasn't done right' - why not remake some of those? I call it the Stargate theory.

scifigene
SFL New User

Post by scifigene » Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:21 pm

the-mental-one wrote:Not that I thought Total Recall was brilliant but it has it's place in movie history and a remake seems redundant. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised by it but I doubt it, I'd much rather see a short based more on the original story. Anyone else up for that? If we time it to release at the same time as this remake it'd probably do quite well. I'm not a film maker in any sense of the word but it'd be an interesting challenge and it's not like we don't have budding film makers frequenting SFL ;)
:D As a budding film maker who frequented SFL this idea appeals to me - We Can Remember It etc., like many other PKD short stories, is all about concepts and characters and so ideal for zero-budget filmmaking, it's only the blow-up to blockbuster proportions that costs so much.
sci-fi-gene.blogspot.com

the-mental-one
SFL Member

Post by the-mental-one » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:46 am

scifigene wrote:
the-mental-one wrote:Not that I thought Total Recall was brilliant but it has it's place in movie history and a remake seems redundant. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised by it but I doubt it, I'd much rather see a short based more on the original story. Anyone else up for that? If we time it to release at the same time as this remake it'd probably do quite well. I'm not a film maker in any sense of the word but it'd be an interesting challenge and it's not like we don't have budding film makers frequenting SFL ;)
:D As a budding film maker who frequented SFL this idea appeals to me - We Can Remember It etc., like many other PKD short stories, is all about concepts and characters and so ideal for zero-budget filmmaking, it's only the blow-up to blockbuster proportions that costs so much.
A sci-fi london production??? I'm sure we have plenty of people we know from the SFL team and frequent guests we could rope into it...or am I now becoming too carried away?

billy
SFL Member

Post by billy » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:55 pm

the-mental-one wrote: A sci-fi london production??? I'm sure we have plenty of people we know from the SFL team and frequent guests we could rope into it...or am I now becoming too carried away?
Find a writer and/or a script and we'd be well on our way...

the-mental-one
SFL Member

Post by the-mental-one » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:04 pm

I should have a copy of the original story somehwere, I'll have a look at it again...

hmmmm....I know some people who do radioplay scripts. May I'll ask for some suggestions or help :o)

The Editor
SFL Active Member

Post by The Editor » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:12 pm

Call me old fashioned but there is a small matter of rights involved with making a film from an existing story.

the-mental-one
SFL Member

Post by the-mental-one » Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:02 pm

The Editor wrote:Call me old fashioned but there is a small matter of rights involved with making a film from an existing story.
You're probably right, but if we're making it as a private "just for fun" short film I think that's alright. Anyway I'll take a look at the rights issue and see and if there would be a way around it and if not I guess I'll try writing to ask for permission to make a not-for-profit short film based on the original short story. I'm sure that's something that's worth trying, after all you never know they might just say yes...

the-mental-one
SFL Member

Post by the-mental-one » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:50 pm

Sorry for the double post but I went to see if I could ask about the rights to the short story and the PKD trust sold all rights to the story when the original movie was made. I'll have to approach the studio who made the original movie which seems less likely to say yes than the PKD trust were...if you all are still wanting to do this I'll look up the details and contact them on this.

scifigene
SFL New User

Post by scifigene » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:36 pm

the-mental-one wrote:Sorry for the double post but I went to see if I could ask about the rights to the short story and the PKD trust sold all rights to the story when the original movie was made. I'll have to approach the studio who made the original movie which seems less likely to say yes than the PKD trust were...if you all are still wanting to do this I'll look up the details and contact them on this.
Have they sold the rights to Service Call?
sci-fi-gene.blogspot.com