Talk about the latest happenings in your local movie theatre...
penfold
SFL Member

Post by penfold » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:33 pm

http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/avatar/hd/

I really hope this doesn't suck and at least with James Cameron at the helm the chances are that it won't.

billy
SFL Member

Re: AVATAR trailers are out

Post by billy » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:31 pm

It looks a bit like a cross between the Starship Troopers cartoon and Oddworld. To quote a number of characters from another potentially shonky sci-fi film "I have a bad feeling about this".

The Editor
SFL Active Member

Post by The Editor » Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:42 am

Here's the opinion of someone who had a lot of influence over European cinema:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAPyipuT ... r_embedded

penfold
SFL Member

Post by penfold » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:52 am

Indeed, this movie has the potential to be a multi-million dollar vanity project full of pretty-pretty pictures, magical flying ponies and very little else. However, I'm putting a bit of faith in Cameron as he's yet to let me down. I mean, he's created the only sequels in the Alien and Terminator franchises that didn't suck major ass, helmed a Bond parody that was both funny and exciting at the same time and, most impressive of all, managed to make a movie about the biggest maritime disaster of all time and still have it be engrossing even though every living person on the planet knew how it was going to end. That gets him the benefit of the doubt in my mind... well, for the first 20 minutes of screen time at least.

the-mental-one
SFL Member

Post by the-mental-one » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:47 am

penfold wrote:Indeed, this movie has the potential to be a multi-million dollar vanity project full of pretty-pretty pictures, magical flying ponies and very little else. However, I'm putting a bit of faith in Cameron as he's yet to let me down. I mean, he's created the only sequels in the Alien and Terminator franchises that didn't suck major ass, helmed a Bond parody that was both funny and exciting at the same time and, most impressive of all, managed to make a movie about the biggest maritime disaster of all time and still have it be engrossing even though every living person on the planet knew how it was going to end. That gets him the benefit of the doubt in my mind... well, for the first 20 minutes of screen time at least.
satishbhawra.2009 wrote:I think this movie will be the bigest hit of the year
It may well be a big pile of pooh plot wise and everything, but even so it will most likely look pretty and it will need to be seen in a cinema for full effect...therefore I will go watch it at the cinema, and I think a lot of other people will feel the same which means it will likely be a big hit. Still it has been an HP year so it may at least be close run for the biggest hit of the year.
Last edited by the-mental-one on Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Editor
SFL Active Member

Post by The Editor » Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:49 pm

It does look pretty, especially in 3D, but good looks don't count for anything if there is no depth of character.

the-mental-one
SFL Member

Post by the-mental-one » Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:57 pm

The Editor wrote:It does look pretty, especially in 3D, but good looks don't count for anything if there is no depth of character.
I agree, I mean I'm sure the latest Terminator movie was good special effects wise but I didn't bother going to see it at the cinema because it had such mixed reviews.

Still if there is a movie where the effects are such that they really need a cinema to do them justice, and I believe Avatar will fall in that category - especially as I will want to watch it in 3D, I'll be inclined to forgive the fact that it has short comings in plot, characterisation or acting and go to watch it at the cinema (not that I know that Avatar has any of these shortcomings, it may be a really good movie but I'm worried they've spent so long making it pretty they may have forgotten the other import things in film making/story-telling). If it doesn't meet my own special criteria I'll be more than likely to wait until it comes out on Sky Movies...or maybe go rent it if it's too obscure for the mainstream movieland.

I'm much more picky with my comics, it has to look good and have a good story before I'll spend money on it.

I think Avatar may have shot itself in the foot as people are expecting so much from it due to all the hype, I'm trying to ignore all the speculation and am just waiting to watch it with an open mind.

penfold
SFL Member

Post by penfold » Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:29 pm

The Editor wrote:It does look pretty, especially in 3D, but good looks don't count for anything if there is no depth of character.
Can anyone say "Beowulf"? A good idea, badly executed, that ran out of steam about halfway through. Even Angelina Jolie (practically) naked in 3D couldn't save that woofer.

Sark
SFL Member

Post by Sark » Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:55 am

Saw the trailer before District 9. Certainly looked VERY pretty, I could gather a vague plot and considering there were few words that was quite cool. Of course, I may now have the incorrect plot in my mind...
"I'm out of it for a little while, everyone gets delusions of grandeur"

penfold
SFL Member

Post by penfold » Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:16 pm

SPOILERS AHEAD. You have been warned.

So I finally got around to watching Avatar last night and I think the phrase I used to sum it up as we walked out of the cinema was “Dances with Smurfs”. I’d been avoiding Chris’ review until after I’d seen it myself and oddly enough that seems to be pretty much what it says as well. Basically it’s “Soldier boy travels to the great frontier, gets friendly with the indigenous people then ends up falling in love, going native and turning on his former comrades.” For a film that’s the better part of three hours long there’s not really much more to the plot than that. In fact I’d go so far as to day it may have been too long for many of the audience, no matter how pretty it was. Mrs Penfold was checking her watch towards the end and if it’d gone on to hit the three hour mark I’d have been doing the same

But, and here’s the thing, Director James Cameron’s tried to pack a lot into the time he had and as such had to sacrifice a lot of back story, character development etc to keep it under three hours. One of the unfortunate downsides of trying to run a tight ship time-wise is that every scene and line of dialogue has to justify it’s inclusion meaning that almost everything you see or hear is there because it’ll have some kind of relevance later on. There’s a number of characters that make what in looser films would have been a throw away comment but in this is almost prophecy trumpeting their ultimate fate. When Michelle Rodriguez’ character says she’d rather not be a martyr then you know she’s going to die, when the Colonel demonstrates that he can run a Power-Loader then you know the final battle's going to involve him using one and when you see what happens to Sigourney Weaver’s character then you know what’s going to eventually happen to Sam Worthington as well. Everything in this movie counts towards something, every action and every line just screams that it’ll come into play again later and it doesn’t take a master detective to have figured it all out long before the titles roll.

Visually Avatar was very impressive. But then for $300million you’d have expected nothing less. The integration of the CG in the live action was probably as close to seamless as has ever been seen before. The modelling of the Na’vi faces was almost good enough to fool you into believing that they were actually present in the physical world, especially in the case of Sigourney Weavers character. With this great improvement in technology coupled with the recent awareness in the public minds about the usage of avatars in online gaming such as World of Warcraft, it’s usage on the Wii and the appearance of movies such as Surrogates and books such as Joe Halderman’s Forever Peace means that we’ll probably be seeing more movies utilising this concept in the very near future.

Unlike previous 3D outings such as Beowolf, this movie actually managed to stay visually impressive all the way though and didn’t fall into the recently overused gimmick of having the 3D there just to have things jump or loom out at the audience for cheap shocks and thrills and for this I was grateful. Instead the 3D was used to showcase the scope and scale of the landscapes, and in many cases, skyscapes that were on offer. I’ve always said the mark of a well thought out piece of 3D film work is when you can watch it again in 2D and not have it be boring or unimpressive. Cameron’s shown over the years that he knows how to frame a scene and he knows how to get the best out of his actors, even if they end up hating him for it.

Another thing Cameron likes to do is make nods to, or reuse ideas from, his previous movies. This is also true for Avatar. The Power-Loaders and Dropship from Aliens make reappearances albeit in much more menacing and meatier configurations than before. Stan Winston’s creature shop pops up again after their sterling work on the Aliens and Terminator franchises. But teaming up with old friends and reusing old ideas isn’t always a good thing as once again Cameron’s brought James Hornier into handle the music and what we get here is mostly just a rehash of the work he did for Aliens and Titanic with some tribal work thrown in for good measure. And the least said about the “My heart will go on” clone that Leona Lewis meanderingly warbles her way though as the big “theme” for the movie the better. James Cameron leaving the soundtrack to Horner’s become somewhat like Tim Burton leaving his to Danny Elfman. They’re a competent team, but they've become too comfortable and unexciting and seem to just churn out the same “sounds” over and over again.

Unfortunately what Cameron is also fond of is hammering home any point that he’s trying to make so hard that rather than teasing an idea gently into the audience’s consciousness, he rams it in with a crowbar, then smacks you on the head a few more times to see if you’ve got the message. Through the movie we had repeated instances of the message “We’ve ruined the Earth though our own short-sightedness, mmmmkay” and “Corporate greed’s bad, mmmmkay” plus a few bouts of “What we did to the Native Americans was wrong, mmmmkay”. Geez, talk about laying it on with a trowel there James. Part way through one of the “War’s bad, mmmmkay” moments I was expecting one of the Na’vi to pull a Willem Defoe and fall to his knees in the jungle and be shot in the back while Adagio for Strings gently swelled in the background. But perhaps that’s for the special edition seven disc DVD.

Now, will I get into trouble for this bit? Well here goes anyway. Take from it what you will but all the notable “villains” of the piece were played by white faces; white men to be more precise. You’ve got the company man Selfridge as the face of corporate greed, Colonel Quaritch as the aggressive and single minded military might and Corporal Wainfleet as the bullyboy trailer trash. On the flipside of this, the notable “heroic” or indigenous characters assisting the Avatar pilots were portrayed by non-whites, i.e. African American and Native Americans mainly but also a Hispanic and an Indian. Yes James, we get it; we see what you’re trying to say there, well done, have a biscuit.

All of this leaves me with the slightly disappointed feeling that Avatar would have been much better as a book or even a series of books, which is a rather depressing thing to be saying about one of the most eagerly awaited, visually stunning and most god damn expensive film in history, With a novel they could have spent a lot more time on building up the characters, filling us in on the planet’s ecosystem, exploring the culture of the Na’vi race and covering the back story of what had happened to humanity in the Avatar universe. Perhaps it’s a Cameron thing? Maybe his artistic vision is actually too big for the screen and needs to work in more than one media for it to be truly grasped. Previously my favourite James Cameron film had been The Abyss which, much as I loved it, I actually liked the novelisation by Orsen Scott Card better. I’d be interested to see if the tie in novel actually has any real meat to it or if it’s just going to be a copy of the screenplay with some polyfilla smoothed over the gaps. I hope it’s the former rather than the latter as this brave new world Cameron’s created has just too much potential to be wasted.

penfold
SFL Member

Post by penfold » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:43 pm

Alternately, this about sums it up.

http://failblog.org/2010/01/10/avatar-plot-fail/

jenturla
SFL New User

Post by jenturla » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:27 pm

I happened to watch this film while on a bus for 2 hours. At first I really didn't like the movie not until I got bored and diverted my attention to it. The movie is just freakin awesome! The colors of the lifestyle and how they created the planet, animals and avatars all connect as if they're all like the roots in the earth. They value life as it's very prcious and they are ther to protect every living creature on earth. Graphics is amazing, outstanding in the way they had the avatars look. just perfect and they did a great job! I would really love to watch it again. Sigh, I just missed it when it's out in the cinemas. I just watched it in a bus. :|

Shinji Ikari
SFL Pro

Post by Shinji Ikari » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:34 pm

penfold wrote:Alternately, this about sums it up.

http://failblog.org/2010/01/10/avatar-plot-fail/
:lol: So true