Arthur C Clarke Awards long list announced

What are you reading? Should the world know about it?
billy
SFL Member

Arthur C Clarke Awards long list announced

Post by billy » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:40 pm

As seen on the news section of Sci-Fi-London: the long list has been announced (which they don't normally do). I've read a few of them this year, which I normally haven't by the time the awards roll around, and it's reminded me of a load of other books that I'd forgotten.

Anyone have any ideas for the shortlist or who might win?

I reckon that Anathem, one of the two by Charlie Stross (I've not read Saturn's Children, but Halting State is rather good) and The Temporal Void (my favourite book of last year) will appear in the list, but I haven't read enough of the others to make a call. I'd like to see Adam Roberts getting a nod, but I've still not managed to get round to reading Swiftly so I don't know how it measures up to his other books that I've liked (although the premise alone is enough to make me grin a lot), and Alastair Reynolds, Stephen Baxter, Ian MacLeod, Ken MacLeod, Neal Asher, Richard Morgan (last years winner), Iain Banks and Paul McCauley are all rather good writers, and I suspect a couple of them will appear in the list.

Rather a strong field of books. I don't envy the judging panel...

billy
SFL Member

Re: Arthur C Clarke Awards long list announced

Post by billy » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:06 am

The shortlist has now been announced:

Song of Time: Ian R. MacLeod - PS Publishing
The Quiet War: Paul McAuley – Gollancz
House of Suns: Alastair Reynolds – Gollancz
Anathem: Neal Stephenson – Atlantic
The Margarets: Sheri S. Tepper – Gollancz
Martin Martin’s on the Other Side: Mark Wernham – Jonathan Cape

(http://sci-fi-london.com/news/article/1 ... -announced)

I hadn't heard of the last two (not even knowing of the author of the final one) and have only managed to read Anathem of the others (despite enjoying Ian R Macleod's Light Ages a while back, and having The Quiet War and House of Suns sitting on my 'get these books' list for a while). As I have seen commented elsewhere it does seem that it would be a rather boring conclusion if Anathem won, but at the same time it does look like a rather strong contender.

billy
SFL Member

Post by billy » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:08 am

It may be rather bad form to reply to myself, but there's a rather good round up (including the start of a group hug for Adam Roberts, probably my favourite author on the long list, whose Swiftly didn't make it in to the final six) over on Torque Control.

I've grabbed Mark Wenham's "Martin Martin's on the Other Side" and so far it's feeling a bit Clockwork Orangey, as mentioned in the linked article, but I'm still not sure about it.

And in true "stuff's all happening" fashion, the Hugo nominees just got announced as well, with the one inevitable crossover between the lists.

the-mental-one
SFL Member

Post by the-mental-one » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:50 pm

I have to try and not let my bias for everything Neil Gaiman overshadow the other books on the Hugo list...and look so many good graphic novels made it on to the list it's gonna be a hard decision there...

Strange that this year I haven't read any of the nominations for the Arthur C Clarke award, normally I've read at least 3 of them by now...although I own a large number of books by 4 of the authors so I may well have them in my very large pile of books still to read as I tend to buy everything by an author I like to read as soon as possible.

Oh and it's not just you I hadn't heard of Mark Wernham either...but then I suppose as this is his debut book we can be excused, a little...I guess congratulations are in order for making it onto the shortlist first time out.