Sci-Fi London 2006 Feedback Thread

SCI-FI-LONDON 5 : 26th - 30th April 2006
Shinji Ikari
SFL Pro

Post by Shinji Ikari » Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:45 pm

Time to give us your feedback ion this years events!

So what did you think of this years events?

What did you like Dislike?

What you liek to see for Nextime

Smythes
SFL New User

Post by Smythes » Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:18 pm

Originally posted by Shinji Ikari
Time to give us your feedback ion this years events!

So what did you think of this years events?
Well the least I can do is give you one n00bs opinion , having attened 4 showings, but not the all nighter that sounded impressive.

I thought it was great. I would say too short as you can never get too much of a good thing! The venue was spot on and for piccadilly circus, the prices were pretty good (IMHO) especially when buying tickets for niche material as such.

I last touched a copy of 2000AD years ago...I have a abox of Progs somehwere...so to receive freebie progs had a real OMGdzors! feel to it. Great freebies on that table on the entrance floor (including the fantastic wallace and gromit straws).

All the people doing "front of house" I met were kind, courteous despite it being extremely busy.
What did you like Dislike?
Hmm....

The only thing I have thought of is the difficulty in voting for a best short. So many different styles that have their merits (animation verses modelling and/or cultural perspectives) meant it was very hard to make a vote that was made on a level playing field for each short (if that makes sense) Perhaps next time more broken up into categories?

What you like to see for Nextime
Tricky. Very tricky. More Cosplay? A certain wide theme? For a first doo for me it was great, and I liked it all :)

timberwolf0122
SFL Active Member

Post by timberwolf0122 » Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:57 pm

Liked
I'll get this out my system first. MST3K!!! + BOTS!!! W00t!, ahem..
I think the venue was fantastic, very comfie(sp?) and perfect for the all nighters
Staff were all great (except that loud git with the mega phone ;-p )
Talkie-okey, I just hope I come across as either witty or insightful (though I have my reservations)
Muffins... hmmmm muffins<drool>

Disliked
I think the talkie-okey needs more microphones as quite often two people would want to trade views and it required a lot of passing and some of the quieter protagonists sometimes missed out.
I couldn't attend both all nighters, although medicaly that may not have been a bad thing

Next Year
Final Fantasy VII shown on a non-all nighter so I can catch it on big screen
In the seated waiting area outside the screens some tv's showing classic sci fi tv (Dr Who/Battletech/space 1999/knightmare sort of fair)

Vomit
SFL New User

Post by Vomit » Mon May 01, 2006 12:38 am

Liked: Advent children! I had a grin the size of :D during the whole film. Mainly because it sounded amazing, hearing it on huge cinema speakers is just what makes it a totally different experience to watching the film at home.
Anyway liked the whole night in general especially watching my friends punish eachother for a bit of ~z~ , anyway on a serious note the seating was fantastic, my rear was in bum heaven - forget the serious note, im no good at it.
Oh yeah freebies all good too!

Disliked: The free sauna before entering screen 5, a little aircon would have been fantastic!
The almightily small toilets for the amount of people trying to go.
And back to a less serious note, the person with the annoying laugh. :p

Next Year: Okay im all for animes being in japanese and subbed, but however when its 4 films in a row it would have been nice to have a break from reading for like 1 film. I know the subs are noramlly more popular, and im oh so glad advent children wasn't the dub, however may be worth looking into what the people going would prefer for next year!

Oh and sorry if any of this is pure gibberish, i still have not slept... infact thats what im about to do now!

Mobeer
SFL New User

Post by Mobeer » Mon May 01, 2006 12:44 am

I attended three features plus the anime all nighter.

- New venue is easy to get to\find and has comfy seats on enough of a slope to easily see over the people in front
- Staff were friendly, even in the early hours
- Most of the films were good
- The stair case with neon

Disliked
- Printing all nighter tickets with seat numbers was a bad idea. Some people leaving it late to enter the screen then tried to find their allocated seats and ended up disappointed. Either tickets should not have seat numbers, or the seating should be allocated.
- For the all nighter, keeping the screens in darkness whilst showing credits was a bad idea. This combined with 10-minute breaks meant people ended up leaving the seat in the dark, struggling to step over bags, feet and popcorn in the process.
- Voices of a Distant Star was on as part of last year's anime all nighter; perhaps something different could have been used this year?
- Restricting the availability of Red Bull was fine (after all, there was coffee), but to have staff constantly repeating warnings over Redbull, ice cream and muffins seemed odd.

Next Year
I think there needs to be a movie by a truly massive star - I was thinking Godzilla?

The Editor
SFL Active Member

Post by The Editor » Mon May 01, 2006 9:49 am

Addressing the restrictions on Red Bull, Ice cream and muffins: we were only supplied with a limited number of each, ie one per head. A small percentage of people thought that free meant unlimited, which meant that someone else was going to miss out, helped themselves before the films started. SFL has to be the most generous film festival in the country. How many other festivals feed and water you for free, plus give bags of quality goodies? And yet some people weren't even satisfied with that. At the risk of sounding like a school teacher (which I'm not), it is just a few who spoil it for the rest.
All the staff are volunteers, who also went without sleep, but didn't get to see the films, and also wanted/needed to partake of Red Bull etc. If they were restricting the availability it was for a very good reason, and they did a fantastic job of serving so many people in such a small space of time. They should be applauded not criticised.

siccoyote
SFL Member

Post by siccoyote » Mon May 01, 2006 10:17 am

I attended CSA, Puzzlehead The Anime Allnighter & The Shorts
(next time I think if I'm going to see an alnighter I'll not watch films in the early afternoons of the preceeding/following days)

The venue was very flash and the seats very comfy.
The toilets were also quite flash.
Good crowd of peeps and friendly peeps in the "what's your function" shirts.
Good films (though I do get bored during REALLY long action sequences they have in movies nowadays, give me a howard the duck one shot ending any day)
Ice cream was very nice, I didn't have the Chilli, but watching other fools...people eating it was fun.
Red Bull didn't taste as bad as I remembered.
I found myself talking to alot of people despite only having one alcoholic drink the whole night.
Got recognised as soon as I walked through the door.

Disliked:
Prices, yes it's in the centre and it's really flash and it's less than normal for a flash place in the centre but just saying as it did make me decide against watching more films. (Alot of good freebies included for the allnighter, maybe a bit to much sweetness for me though :D)
The Sauna as noted by someone else for anyone wating for screen 5 :D
A tuna salad sub I bought after the first film at a local newsagent, the thing tasted horrible and the lettuce had gone brown.
The Burger King breakfast meal I had the morning after the allnighter, I'm sure they barely cooked that sausage burger, well I don't seem to have got food poisoning yet.
All the people dissing Maniac Cop 2 it's a decent enough film, quite watchable.
The woman during CSA who would suddenly let out a random giggle at certain words. (Like Liberal)

Not been to an Anime allnighter before, usually go to another event's Horror allnighter, but went to some films at the last Sci-Fi.

Shinji Ikari
SFL Pro

Post by Shinji Ikari » Mon May 01, 2006 12:27 pm

- Voices of a Distant Star was on as part of last year's anime all nighter; perhaps something different could have been used this year?

Ok that one I will exsplain

This was only put on as a bonus Film for screen 4 as Gingersnaps was still being played on Screen 5 there for they was unable to start the all nighter proply untill that film had finished

this was because the film acherly runs thogh 2 projectors on a coninus role

so there you go :) :)

The Editor
SFL Active Member

Post by The Editor » Mon May 01, 2006 1:13 pm

Also concerning Voices, all our other screenings show shorts so it seemed appropriate to show that one as it linked nicely with Places Promised... Yes it was shown last year, but it was a bonus, like all the goodie bags etc. We do like to give you value for money. Have a look at the pricing for other film festivals (LFF) and you'll see what exceptional value we are (even without the goodies).

The best value event for the weekend had to be the Pub Quiz - free event with free beer and lots of fun. Louis's readings from Gary Lockwoods memoires book was priceless.

And. like everyon ekeeps saying, the staff and volunteers are nice and friendly.

TesLa
SFL Member

Post by TesLa » Mon May 01, 2006 2:01 pm

Hey Editor, maybe you need to get some sleep and stop reacting to all the small criticisms. Sure you will get one or two selfish people but the majority were very chilled. You asked for feedback so don't take it all personally. I'm sure after a good night's sleep you'll feel much better, but I would like to read your report of the last 2 days.

Nexus 6s girlfriend
SFL New User

Post by Nexus 6s girlfriend » Mon May 01, 2006 4:02 pm

I went to the MST3k, shorts and pub quiz, this was my first ever convention and i loved it! I haven't laughed so much in ages, roll on 2007!

The free gifts were very generous (booze gets a special mention), the staff helpful and the megaphone man hilarious

I have a megaphone and I'm not afraid to use it!

I have absolutely no complaints...well except being kicked out at around seven am and having to wonder around London until they let us back in at 12...but we had more drunken adventures in Leicester square...so thanks anyway

Thank you also to those robot modelers, you made my boyfriends day by letting him have his picture taken with Servo & Crow. He is going to be the envy of many people when we recount our tales over the coming week

I'm wearing my freebie t-shirt as i type

Shinji Ikari
SFL Pro

Post by Shinji Ikari » Mon May 01, 2006 4:31 pm

Thanks for the feedback Nexus 6's girlfriend and welcome to the site hope you like it here

spiritquest
SFL Member

Post by spiritquest » Mon May 01, 2006 4:37 pm

Another superb event.

Talkaoke was good fun, be good to see the video of that maybe edited available to download from the site ??
Am suffering from deep sci-fi sleep deporevation sickness, even after having got 14 hrs sleep so far.

Tears Before Bedtime .. loved, even though I wanted to get to see the anime originally, Cronos was always on my 'Must See' list. Blade 2 and Hellboy I've loved, Guillermo Del Toro, is up there on my Directors list, also opening with Nightwatch ..amazing film. Only dissapointment was the guy sitting next to me getting a DVD throwout of it ... only kidding, I won a VIP festival pass so I've been shooting up on sci-fi-london screenings since weds :D

The Tears allnighter list in my opinion was a perfect selection. I've seen all the films except the first two (Nightwarch and Cronos) and we had such a good laugh with Innocent Blood and Prince of Darkness.

Last year I did The Matrix All nighters. Excellent stuff !!

~z~

Sorry had to boost my brainwave patterns.

Quality of the shorts, as high as ever. and Logans Run in all its original glory (super sized).

My thanks and gratitude to Louis, Shaun and all the volunteers, who were all friendly and helpful. I thin the venue is a good one and am looking forward to next years

Cheers all, I will be blogging about it on http://ket.spiritquest.co.uk .

siccoyote
SFL Member

Post by siccoyote » Mon May 01, 2006 5:43 pm

Ah freebie t-shirts.

I was 0.1 seconds away from a free t-shirt, I reached up swinging my hands together and I just caught the packaging but it slipped through to the person behind me, if I had moved my hands 0.1 seconds earlier I would now have a t-shirt.

Henrik's
SFL New User

Post by Henrik's » Mon May 01, 2006 6:00 pm

As I posted elsewhere, I thoroughly enjoyed the MST3K all nighter. Once we got through the cattleyard of people milling about in the lobby, I found the atmosphere in Screen 1 to be delightful and fun. Please do this again next year. I love the show but watching it with a full audience made the experience ten times better.