Shinji Ikari
SFL Pro

Sci-Fi London 2006 Feedback Thread

Post by Shinji Ikari » Tue May 02, 2006 11:35 pm

Thats cool welcome to the site by the way Genie :D

ELLE

Post by ELLE » Wed May 03, 2006 12:15 pm

hi tonberry etc.. anime man......'ginger snaps'?..supersized? have you seen it then and your thoughts on it? and why awesome?... saw it..and discussion first about the film..thoughts? :)

Sark
SFL Member

Post by Sark » Wed May 03, 2006 1:52 pm

First of all a big THANK YOU to Louis and the SFL team including the volunteers!

Went to the MST3K all nighter and it was awesome! I was laughing so hard I didn't get tired!
I like the Apollo as a venue, I think it is very fitting with the festival, if a bit small (the mangawall area did get cramped!). Speaking of which, it was cool to see more people in cosplay (although I didn't myself) and a giant robot).

Thought the fest was great and as this was my fifth I think I can safely say probably the best!
"I'm out of it for a little while, everyone gets delusions of grandeur"

tonberry_killer
SFL New User

Post by tonberry_killer » Wed May 03, 2006 10:58 pm

Ginger snaps is an extremely good contemporary werewolf movie, which just has something 'cool' about it. Hard to explain but I like it alot.
(By 'supersized' in my previous post I meant 'on a big screen'...)

I would have loved to have seen it if it hadnt (supposedly) clashed time-wise with the start of the anime, but next year I will know to ask about times AND screens.

Shinji Ikari
SFL Pro

Post by Shinji Ikari » Wed May 03, 2006 11:19 pm

Yer I must say that film kicked ass and the second one still need to see the 3rd one thogh

Moss Piglet
SFL Member

Post by Moss Piglet » Thu May 04, 2006 10:24 am

I liked the venue (seats were great and that frosted glass along the staff room wall, which followed you as you walked past, was hoopy) but the corridor/downstairs foyer got a little crowded at times - not as easy to chat as in a larger space. Which meant we didn't hang round for a drink after the movies.
Getting to the loos on the saturday night was a little difficult with the mangawall in the way.
I would have liked to sit and watch the shorts on the foyer screen but it was too noisy to hear the films.
It was good to have it on a bank holiday weekend.

Most importantly - I loved the range of films and that's what it's all about. I'm already ready looking forward to next year!

I am not a quiet person.

The Editor
SFL Active Member

Post by The Editor » Thu May 04, 2006 11:17 am

Thanks for the feedback. The use of the space for the value-added events like the Manga-wall and mini-cine are definitely things we have to address. The best time to watch the mini-cine is when the films are screening, and not on Saturday. Alternatively watch the shorts on the big screen. There were three different screenings over the Festival. We also liked the idea of having the bank holiday to recover, and we hope to make next year's Festival bigger and better.

Roosta
SFL Active Member

Post by Roosta » Thu May 04, 2006 5:53 pm

Not really sure about a better place for the Manga wall to be honest. (its not an ideal situation!) - but perhaps a solution for the mini-cine would be to provide headphones!
:)

But apart from this, loved the location. The cinema, seats and staff were all first class, and it all managed to generate a good atmosphere too, which made it great fun for all.

Oh and the MST3K allnighter was pure class - more of the same next year please!
:D
"TO THE SPACE GUN!!!"

Shinji Ikari
SFL Pro

Post by Shinji Ikari » Thu May 04, 2006 6:27 pm

The manga wall was in the only place we could put it so that was why it was were it was

mcgrathmg
SFL New User

Post by mcgrathmg » Sat May 06, 2006 4:58 pm

Does anyone know who won the vote for the best short movie?

siccoyote
SFL Member

Post by siccoyote » Sat May 06, 2006 6:08 pm

I was just looking at my voting sheet that I didn't hand in, I'm sure they didn't show 3 of the shorts on that page at the sunday shorts showing.

matsuri
SFL New User

Post by matsuri » Sat May 06, 2006 10:06 pm

I only did the all-nighter as I live out of town. I think the new location is great. Those must be the most comfortable seats I have ever encountered. It really is a shame that we couldn't take them home. The staff & volunteers were great. The toliets were fantastic, like something out of a posh hotel. And very clean as well. The ladies anyway, I didn't investigate the mens:D I liked all the free swag that we got in the horror all nighter and the refreshments were very good.

I have to say that I was a bit disappointed by the horror films. I don't normally watch horror films as I am easily scared but I wasn't scared by any of them. I jumped more in that episode of Dr Who that has just shown than I did in the horror films. Prince of Darkness was just farsical and the scary thing is I see that it isn't a comedy horror unlike Innocent Blood. If Prince of Darkness is an example of Carpenters best I hate to see what his worst is. I was bored to death in Cronos. I did like Nightwatch and Innocent blood.

I would like to see an actual scary film on the bill if you do horror next time. Something like the Shinning always scares the crap out of me. I don't think I've managed to sit and watch it all the way through with out changing the channel.

Shinji Ikari
SFL Pro

Post by Shinji Ikari » Sat May 06, 2006 10:10 pm

Welcome to the site miss hope you like it here

TesLa
SFL Member

Post by TesLa » Sun May 07, 2006 12:12 pm

You need to go to something like FrightFest if you want to see really scary horror films. The Tears before bedtime was more supernatural/vampire rather than horror. I don't like horror films either, I don't see the point of going to the cinema to be scared s***less. Love Night Watch because it is well-made and has a lot more depth than theh usual Hollywood nonsense.

siccoyote
SFL Member

Post by siccoyote » Sun May 07, 2006 2:20 pm

I hate it when people say "I wasn't scared" when talking about horror films. You get out what you put in with many.

Blair Witch freaked me out, Evil Dead is scary if you let yourself into it.

Jumps are not scary, they are jumps, usually caused by a loud sudden noise afte quiet or a flash of horror after encouraging you to let your guard slip and the concentrate on something else, Scary Swf's usually use this technique, as did the Exorcist.

Also scares can be quite a personal thing, my sister is terrified of frogs for example.