Sci-Fi London 2006 Feedback Thread

SCI-FI-LONDON 5 : 26th - 30th April 2006
ELLE

Post by ELLE » Mon May 08, 2006 10:47 am

i think poss that horror is a personal matter..? agree with siccoyote..
and after the wow of nightwatch ..a funny/landis horror/mafia 'i fancy italian tonite'' vampire?...
a grand daughter who kicks a###...and carpenters cheesie movie...all perhaps not on big screens any more, seldom on tv?...and a fantastic all nighter for me any way?
the shining?...very funny movie too..with jack grinning away and enjoying himself., daddies home......

Shaun F
SFL Active Member

Post by Shaun F » Mon May 08, 2006 12:36 pm

Horror films, like any genre are subjective to the viewer, we watch them for different reasons.
Personally I am not a big fan of the genre as they tend to insult your intelligence (unless aimed to be deliberate in that regard). The only ones I have enjoyed recently for being good "horror" movies have been The Descent, Dog Soldiers and Nightwatch. The Blade series I did enjoy but can not really call that horror due its strong comic book roots. Also the Masters of Horror Series on TV are excellent.

I like horror for the subjects it explores, usually gruesome or involving death and killing!!

matsuri
SFL New User

Post by matsuri » Thu May 11, 2006 8:07 am

Originally posted by siccoyote
I hate it when people say "I wasn't scared" when talking about horror films. You get out what you put in with many.
Yes well I wouldn't be complaining if the horror all-nighter hadn't been advertised thus
"What would an all-nighter line-up be without a little something to scare you rigid? Remember to bring silver bullets, garlic, crosses and holy water – you never know who will be sitting next to you."
False advertising methinks.

Besides it is not unreasonable to expect a horror film to scare you at least once, or else why even bother to call it horror. Just like if I went to see something that was classified as a romantic comedy, it is reasonable for me to expect humor and romance.

matsuri
SFL New User

Post by matsuri » Thu May 11, 2006 8:16 am

Originally posted by Shaun F
The only ones I have enjoyed recently for being good "horror" movies have been The Descent, Dog Soldiers and Nightwatch. The Blade series I did enjoy but can not really call that horror due its strong comic book roots. Also the Masters of Horror Series on TV are excellent.

I like horror for the subjects it explores, usually gruesome or involving death and killing!!
Ooh I loved Dog Soldiers. I was scared and laughing at the same time. "Werewolf ate my platoon" I thought it was very well done. I haven't seen descent, I shall have to check that out.

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » Thu May 11, 2006 8:55 am

you cannot please all the people all the time eh Matsuri.

Next year, email me with your planned all-nighter and I will tell you all the plots, synopses and general tone of the movie beforehand. And just to make sure you get really scared we will plan a little something just for you :D

Ellioto Roboto
SFL New User

Post by Ellioto Roboto » Thu May 11, 2006 10:28 am

Originally posted by matsuriSomething like the Shinning always scares the crap out of me. I don't think I've managed to sit and watch it all the way through with out changing the channel.
:D
One little typo & now all I can think about is Jack Nicholson laying into peoples shins with a hatchet.

*crunch* *crunch* *crunch*
That'd make a fine movie.

Shinji Ikari
SFL Pro

Post by Shinji Ikari » Thu May 11, 2006 6:20 pm

Originally posted by matsuriSomething like the Shinning always scares the crap out of me. I don't think I've managed to sit and watch it all the way through with out changing the channel.
Originally posted by Ellioto Roboto
:D
One little typo & now all I can think about is Jack Nicholson laying into peoples shins with a hatchet.

*crunch* *crunch* *crunch*
That'd make a fine movie.
Dont know about him but meon the other hand I just might do that

Ollie
SFL Member

Post by Ollie » Sun May 14, 2006 3:53 pm

I went to the MST3K allnighter and I enjoyed it immensly. When I got their I didn't know anyone as the guys I was going with couldn't make it. After a while though I chatted to a few people and I really managed to relax. I spent the whole evening laughing out loud. I am very pleased to here that there will be another next year. I have to thank everyone who organised it. I also have to say thanks to the guy who thought it would be cool to put a comic in the goody bag. I haven't read a comic for years and the 2000AD comic spurred my interest back into them, specifically western comics.

ELLE

Post by ELLE » Sun May 14, 2006 9:18 pm

i think that block buster and genre movies are getting mixed up?noise and sound effects !!!!
and getting scared is taste...but I think the ads were tongue in cheek for the best allnighter i have been to for ages.....tears before bedtime?...yes!!! and we had sooooo much fun!!!!:p

next year then, is anyone up for a real scare.?:~
..first shins smashed then a devil/ogre/wotever on a stick waved about and someone jumping out of the dark...BOO !!!!!
UP FOR IT...????? start a new thread, all names kept in a bloody skull rotting away for next year, dont turn out your lights at night remember daddies home...or at least on his way....BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :~

plus cronos is scary..a child taking on all that shit..scary? i think so...or maybe i live in a parallel world..