Sci-Fi London 2006 Feedback Thread

SCI-FI-LONDON 5 : 26th - 30th April 2006
Toria
SFL Member

Post by Toria » Mon May 01, 2006 6:20 pm

Next year i'd like to see more people in cosplay, not that i can talk since i wasn't but i know i'd feel more comfortable being in cosplay if other others were too.

I love my goodie bag sci-fi chocolate. YEY CHOCOLATE.

There should be anime allnighters far far more often. It should be a weekly event.

Shinji Ikari
SFL Pro

Post by Shinji Ikari » Mon May 01, 2006 6:56 pm

well this was the first year we have done this so next year im shure it will be diffrent

ELLE

Post by ELLE » Mon May 01, 2006 7:29 pm

feedback?...THANX again..for good people at fest...brilliant volunteers and apollo staff...and comfy seats and orgasmic ice cream and BEER and everything..and MOVIES....MOVIES .....MOVIES...thank you sci fi london fest...
:) ;) :p :D #) ;) :) now for some ~z~

Nexus 6s girlfriend
SFL New User

Post by Nexus 6s girlfriend » Mon May 01, 2006 7:44 pm

Someone got a cd hit them on the head, then had it poached by an apologetic person nearby LOL

In two different instances i got gifts and they matched!!! An Atari t-shirt and hat

I wish the Fishy people had got a prize in the pub quiz, they were so poor LOL

BTW wtf was seed all about in the shorts???

Jack T Ladd
SFL New User

Post by Jack T Ladd » Mon May 01, 2006 9:30 pm

Was a blast, as always.
Many thanks to Louis, the rest SFL team, and the staff of the apollo! :)
Their hard work made it a great "weekend" for me.

Nothing like watching anime for 8 hours surrounded by several hundred sweaty people! :D

See you next year! ~z~

PS - Tip for getting gifts, go to the less popular screenings! I have tons of stuff! ^_^
PPS - Louis' mum's a greatest! :D

Nexus 6s girlfriend
SFL New User

Post by Nexus 6s girlfriend » Mon May 01, 2006 10:17 pm

Another tip for getting gifts...sit within throwing distance of the front ;)

TesLa
SFL Member

Post by TesLa » Mon May 01, 2006 11:19 pm

Another tip to get goodies is to become a volunteer, although the audiences get the best stuff. You might not get to see all the films you want, unless you volunteer to work the shifts that aren't showing the films you want to see. You get to be nice to the attendees and shower them with gifts. You also get one of those exclusive SFL T-shirts. Just keep a look out on the site before next year's Festival to put your name down.

perfecto2002
SFL New User

Post by perfecto2002 » Tue May 02, 2006 5:33 am

This was my first time at SFL, I went to see the Anime All-nighter and had a great time. All films were in Japanese with subtitles which made it all the more better :D All the staff were friendly and helpful and the atmosphere was nice and relaxed which all added to the experience. Hopefully I will be able to attend next year as well and plan things better so I get to see more films :)

My only gripe would be the breaks between films, maybe they could have been a bit longer just to give you time to go to toilet and grab a coffee/food as it did get a bit chaotic sometimes where everyone was rushing.

Thanks to all the volunteers and SFL team for putting on a great night im just wondering how they are gonna top it next year?! :)

Cheesebrush
SFL New User

Post by Cheesebrush » Tue May 02, 2006 9:38 am

Here are my thoughts on the bits of the festival I attended (Survive Style 5+ and Anine all-nighter).

The new venue was good. There didn't seem to be as much space in the bar/foyer area as at the Curzon but the screens themselves were better (Stadium seating means a better view for more people. And the seats were very comfy)

The staff were all great (as usual) and the change in dates seemed better although it did have the unfortunate downside of meaning Saturday's films clashed with new Dr who (surely this is something that traumatised everyone who attended on that day!). Being a bank holiday weekend was a definite blessing; I really needed that extra day off to recover!

Overall, the selection of films this year didn't appeal to me as much as previous years but the all nighters were very good.

I liked the fact that the organisers had made a big effort to get some 35mm prints as opposed to going for the easy option of screening from DVD or digital video tape (GitS2 and FF VII were stunning to see properly on the big screen)

Free gifts are always good and even though not everyone got a great selection, people should remember that they are free and better than nothing. (My Maniac Cop 2 DVD came in very useful last night for squashing a large spider that ran across my living room floor whilst I was wathcing The Matrix on TV!)

There were 2 things that spoilt the all-nighter though: Firstly the air conditioning (or lack of it) in screen 4. It got slightly better after the first film but simply became a slow boiling rather than a full on roasting. Afterwards I also heard that there was no such problem in screen 5 (the second Anime all nigher screen).

Secondly there was a problem with the sound in screen 4 but only for films shown by video (The 35mm films sounded fantastic). It was a bit quiet and seemed to be rather flat (i.e. limited or no surround sound). Also all the dialogue came from the left. I don't know if this also affected screen 5 as well but having seen Survive Style 5+ in that screen earlier there was no problem at all with the sound then, so I must assume it was just screen 4 that was affected.

It is just annoying that my main memory of the evening will be several minor technical problems that shoudn't have been a problem to solve (as far as I know everything was fine in the other screen). The people in screen 4 were the people who booked first, yet our reward was slightly sub-standard presentation which was a shame as otherwise it was an excellent day/night of entertainment.

I think that pretty much covers everyhting. I am now going to do some decorating as I have the strange urge to add lots of pink/blue neon round my house and put handfuls of glass/crystals in my toilet and sink...
For all your cheesebrushing needs: http://www.cheesebrush.com

Shinji Ikari
SFL Pro

Post by Shinji Ikari » Tue May 02, 2006 11:19 am

Thanks for the coments Cheesebrush and welcome to the site also

ELLE

Post by ELLE » Tue May 02, 2006 12:06 pm

cheesebrush..made me laugh out loud..spider and dvd....not a good idea..as not yet recovered from my neon weekend..
got sore throat still from laughing..........but thanx cb.... :D

Shinji Ikari
SFL Pro

Post by Shinji Ikari » Tue May 02, 2006 12:48 pm

I quite liked that film

Cheesebrush
SFL New User

Post by Cheesebrush » Tue May 02, 2006 3:26 pm

Fortunately the DVD was still in its cellophane wrapper so the spider guts will instantly come off once I unwrap it and the disc will be as good as new!

I actually had the dubious pleasure of seeing the UK premiere of Maniac Cop 2 many years ago at the Black Sunday horror film festival. If you thought the Sci-Fi festival all nighters were tough going with 4 films, Black Sunday showed 10 films, finishing around 7pm on the Sunday!

For all your cheesebrushing needs: http://www.cheesebrush.com

tonberry_killer
SFL New User

Post by tonberry_killer » Tue May 02, 2006 6:33 pm

Again, I was an 'all-night-anime virgin' before last weekend but I was extremely impressed by the evening. Ive been a fan of anime for about 18 years now since seeing 'Castle in the Sky' on TV when I was about 7 or 8, and had sadly NEVER seen anything animated from Japan in the cinema (mainly due to a lack of advertising and general unavailability in the past). Suffice to say, I enjoyed every minute, although I do agree with the general consensus that THE PLACE PROMISED IN OUR EARLY DAYS was on slightly too late considering its pace... yeah, I dozed off every now and then too :(

After seeing 'Karas: The prophecy' on the big screen, I really cant wait until 'Karas: the Revelation' arrives on DVD this spetember!

Did anyone here get to see Ginger Snaps? That film is awesome and I would have loved to have seen it supersized if it hadnt clashed with the anime! !@#$
Originally posted by Shinji Ikari

I quite liked that film
MANIAC COP 2 IS Pure class :). Everything Bruce Campbell even touches briefly turns to gold!

Genie
SFL New User

Post by Genie » Tue May 02, 2006 10:25 pm

Had an excellent time.
Loved the venue, great seats, great toilets, good atmosphere.

A minor gripe from a broke student but I would have appreciated a concessions price
on the shorts.

Survive Style 5+ Was highlight for me. Bit gutted that I couldn't go to allnighter in
the end but comforted by the fact it was sold out and releasing my tix prob made
someone elses day which has gotta send some karma my way :)