Festival 2006

SCI-FI-LONDON 5 : 26th - 30th April 2006
AlexKidd
SFL New User

Festival 2006

Post by AlexKidd » Sun Nov 06, 2005 7:21 pm

Hi everyone, just wanted to raise a few questions about the 2006 festival.

The move to the Apollo cinema is great news, it's a real nice cinema with great screens, miles better than the Odeaon in Panton Street, but the only draw back is that it's one of the most expensive cinemas in London, normal evening tickets are £12.50! Which could make the festival an expensive proposition, anyone got any ideas if there's going to be a break in ticket prices?

This leads me onto my main point, with the festival being all in one cinema for the first time, will we bill able to buy a festival pass? Both Frightfest and Raindance do good value passes, meaning you can go and see as many films as you want for one price, would be great if there was one for the next festival. Thought I'd ask early about the pass to maybe plant an idea in Louis mind.

Anyone got any other thoughts or news?

Roosta
SFL Active Member

Festival 2006

Post by Roosta » Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:46 pm

Hi AlexKidd, and welcome back to the boards.

I remember discussing the Festival Pass question on the forum last year, but, as you say, it could actually be possible this year, due to everything being concentrated in one cinema.

Perhaps as an initial suggestion the pass could be sold for a fixed price, which then gives discounts on any further tickets purchased for the festival!

This then saves punters a bit of money and encourages people to see more films etc. (plus it would look cool if it was a laminated backstage-pass style pass!).

I haven't been to the Apollo yet, but £12.50 is expensive - even for London!
"TO THE SPACE GUN!!!"

TesLa
SFL Member

Festival 2006

Post by TesLa » Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:06 pm

Passes sound like a good idea to me too. I like Roosta's idea of 'Saver' pass, which could give discounts and priority booking, and maybe discounts at eateries in the area. Man cannot live by Ben And Jerry's and Red Bull alone.

The idea could be taken one step further to be an annual membership, like NFT, where you get discounts at other places throughout the year, as well as the Festival. I'll propose it to Louis.

Shinji Ikari
SFL Pro

Festival 2006

Post by Shinji Ikari » Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:24 am

intresting Idera there and welcome to the bord please post offten

ELLE

Festival 2006

Post by ELLE » Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:24 pm

just a thought.. but ''eateries in the area'' couldnt be cheaper than in chinatown..even cheaper than the burger joints, more friendly and healthy..we ate last year £3.50 for a meal each, with chinese tea as well....sit down or take away
and good bakers in chinatown and supermarkets
you got the school dinners place v. cheap and we are on tesco's doorstep
so unless you are looking for a roast dinner, although saying that you can get all that in the school dinner place in panton street..

AlexKidd
SFL New User

Festival 2006

Post by AlexKidd » Sat Nov 12, 2005 12:37 pm

Hope they do work something out for a pass, really creates a good atmosphere, with everyone there to watch as many films as possible.

So did everyone get the recent email? We now know that there's going to be Mystery Science Theatre 3000 all-nighter, I've never done any of the all-nighters simply becuase I find it impossible to stay awake that long, plus there's always films I want to watch on the next day, but I'm tempted to go to this one, would be a great one off opportunity.

Anyone else into MST3K?

Shinji Ikari
SFL Pro

Festival 2006

Post by Shinji Ikari » Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:58 pm

~I got a lot of sugestions for the anime all nighter but if you realy want everyone to flood in Final Fantasy 7 Advent children would realy pack them in as its not been shown on a big screen

world_is_yours
SFL New User

Festival 2006

Post by world_is_yours » Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:29 pm

I have never tried the Apollo Cinema....hope it's a good change...

Although it wasn't the nicest cinema I didn't mind the Odeon Panton Street...along with the Curzon it gave the Festival a special atmosphere....from memory didn't you use the Other Cinema (Metro cinema) a few times as well in the early days....

When Frightfest changed last year to the Odeon West End....it all felt too comercial...I hope this doesn't happen to Sci-Fi as well.....I like the Chaotic Atmosphere :D

Roosta
SFL Active Member

Festival 2006

Post by Roosta » Fri Jan 13, 2006 4:30 pm

Interesting points world_is_yours.

I have to say that I certainly will miss the old Curzon cinema. There was definitely something about that place that was totally in tune with the festival.

But having said that, the advantages of having the whole thing under one roof are just too good to ignore!

Likewise I haven’t been into the Apollo, but from the outside it already looks like its come from the future, so perhaps it will turn out to be a good match! I'm certainly optimistic!

In the end though I think that as long as the great things we love, like The Allnighters and the MiniCine, still exist at SFL, then we can all hope to keep that chaotic, close, welcoming feel, that Louis and the gang have helped generate, and that I think everyone who experiences the festival truly appreciates!

Also with a new location and a 5 year anniversary, this will be the perfect time to spread the word, and to make this festival the biggest and best its ever been (and that doesn’t necessarily mean more commercial!).

Now all we need are Festival passes and we'll be all set!(here’s hoping!).

Bring on April I say!!!
:D
"TO THE SPACE GUN!!!"

Shinji Ikari
SFL Pro

Festival 2006

Post by Shinji Ikari » Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:58 pm

Hell yer thogh yes I will miss the Curzon but if it meens the events can exspand and be better it will be worth it

TesLa
SFL Member

Festival 2006

Post by TesLa » Sun Jan 15, 2006 5:16 pm

I've been to check out the whole of the Apollo and it is very upmarket. Not quite the same arthouse feel as the Curzon but it has a more futuristic sci-fi feel. And wait till you check out the toilets!! There's plenty of room for chilling out around the bar, and being fully licensed you can even take your drinks with you into the cinema. The screens are a good size, even in the smaller salons and the seats are very comfortable, with plenty of leg room, important for those all-nighters, although hopefully they are not so comfortable that everyone starts snoring. ~z~ I'm really excited about the new venue, let's hope we can fill every screening and make it not only successful but the best festival yet.

Roosta
SFL Active Member

Festival 2006

Post by Roosta » Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:50 am

Thanks for the very thorough and comprehensive report TesLa (toilets and all!).

Glad to know that someone is checking these things out for us!
:)
"TO THE SPACE GUN!!!"

Toria
SFL Member

Festival 2006

Post by Toria » Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:11 am

At this point ii'm getting very nervy about the whole thing. I have to, just have to so very very very badly go to anime all nighter. I've been looking forward to it since i got out of last years (it was my first, i can't believe i'd never heard of it before).

But i don't see any mention of it anywhere, no dates prices, movies? :/ (maybe i just suck at navigating this website....)

If i'm being utterly stupid please link me to any info, i just really really have to gooooo!
My friends are all relying on me to get their tickets. And ohhh i'm just so excited, i'm seriously considering going in cosplay dress... but i don't know if i'd have time to make something by then.

world_is_yours
SFL New User

Festival 2006

Post by world_is_yours » Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:47 am

Welcome :D

I think the best way is to sign up to the SCi-Fi Newsletter

http://www.sci-fi-london.com/2006web/ma ... 1ZLqSWPUlU

Keep checking back here....I also think most ticktets go on sale a few weeks before the festival....

Someone who knows more will say :D

Not long left (Here's hoping they show Final Fantasy: Advent Children *Crosses Fingers*)

Roosta
SFL Active Member

Festival 2006

Post by Roosta » Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:11 am

Welcome to the forum Toria :)

Just to make it totally clear, in case there is any confusion, this years festival is in April, not February as before.

Exact Dates are 29th-30th April 2006 at the Apollo West End.

This is why a lot of the festival line-up has yet to be announced.

But fear not, if past festivals are anything to go by, the Anime Allnighter should feature, so be sure to keep checking back to keep up to date.

Hope this helps! :D
"TO THE SPACE GUN!!!"