BEST FILMS THIS YEAR AT SCI-FI-LONDON

SCI-FI-LONDON 4 : 2nd - 6th February 2005
sara
SFL New User

Post by sara » Sun Jan 16, 2005 11:31 pm

Hey I was just wondering what films everybody is looking forward to seeing.

What does everybody think will be the best, the worst and the surprise hit of the festival

for me I am looking forward to

Feature Films
Able Edwards: I shocks me what can be done on a home computer now of days
Primer: Heard great things about it from sundance
The Purifiers: I am a sucker for this type of stuff

Stranger than fiction
Auto Destrcut: looks so bizarre and funny to me
Chasing God: looks like a great little film

Anime
Steamboy: It has been to long since akira
Sky Blue: Looks stunning

All nighter
SHAW brothers all the way

sara

Roosta
SFL Active Member

Post by Roosta » Mon Jan 17, 2005 1:01 pm

Hi Sara

Like you I've heard great thinks about "Primer" and I am really looking forward to it (tickets booked already!!).

Also both "Steamboy" and "Sky Blue" LOOK amazing, but we will have to wait and see whether they live up to all that hype.

Whatever people are going to see this year I think most would agree that its a strong line-up. Less (if any) classics but more quality new features and shorts (which are strong enough to carry the festival on their own).

Well done Louis and all at SFL!

Now if we can just get the screenings to start on time it will be perfect! :)
"TO THE SPACE GUN!!!"

ELLE

Post by ELLE » Mon Jan 17, 2005 1:07 pm

hi sara...right about the shaw bros...i had asked if anyone had a 'time turner' so i could see the matrix and shaw bros at the same time... no harry potter fans then?..for the 'time turner' (@)
love all the shorts, all well picked...always brilliant ! and the best of the festival? ..is the chance to see sci fi and fantasy with a crowd who are really in to it...
and always see movies that make you think.... ;) cant wait..................................... 2-6th feb............

w666
SFL New User

Post by w666 » Mon Jan 17, 2005 4:29 pm

I saw Primer here in Canada this past weekend. The theatres are offering ticket purchasers 2 viewings for 1 to "get it". It is very clever but a tad slow but in my opinion will be the best of the time travel films playing this year. I am also looking forward to seeing Saving Star Wars I have heard it is pretty funny and it would be intresting to see a take on fandom that is so radically different from my film Auto Destruct. I am also intrested in the other Canadian entries. CUBE ZERO, RECON 2020, STONERS it is intresting that even though the original cube is one of the most successful films from Canada in a while. The grant system does not support SCI FI here. I hope all of these films are great for the sake of SciFi in Canada.

Shinji Ikari
SFL Pro

Post by Shinji Ikari » Tue Jan 18, 2005 1:10 am

me Im Mr Anime got my tickets booked and the camras are reddy to go this is going to be fun

ELLE

Post by ELLE » Tue Jan 18, 2005 12:01 pm

W666.. cube zero?.... the 'cubes' always good for thought and brilliant !.....loads good stuff comes out of canada...and as for any grant system supporting sci fi ....just the term sci fi seems to make peoples eyes glaze over..to do withthe word 'science' and irrational fear.. yet loads of hollywood blockbusters are sci fi, they are aimed at chavs, but still sci fi
hollywood uses the all the''action'' words to sell the movies... also sci fi and anime is seen as mens films even in the 'sci fi world'
saw Robot Stories last year at the festival, love stories, well crafted.... but ''sci fi''', so no grant... praps we need anothe word?
anyone think of another word?......erm.... or no! i am proud and a sci fi addict :D

w666
SFL New User

Post by w666 » Tue Jan 18, 2005 5:10 pm

In Canada our films are dominated by cultural mandate because most of our tv/movies are American. And the government feels we must represent Canadian way of life or experience in the films we make. The Cube seris is really the only sci fi stuff aside from david cronenbergs stuff that is sort of fantastical. The Cube was very popular in europe but nobody in Canada really knows about it. Don't get me wrong many sci fi films are shot here cause it is cheap. But not alot that are from canadians...Canada while a huge place...like 2 or 3 times the size of continental europe has a population of 30 million so there is not alot of money to go around. Unfortunatly most of us do our work in the states now ,more money, bigger risk takers.

w666

ELLE

Post by ELLE » Wed Jan 19, 2005 11:18 am

the very words cultural mandate are chilling..and who is to say what is a way of life? i spose that it is tied up with selling canada to tourists, we see mountains and snow with french speakers as an aside almost..canada striving to be NOT america?
and a lack of money goes back to tourism and selling an idea of a country?
america has so many cultures,more people, like britain, that leads to more varied musicians and movie makers ? so more access to money, or more voices demanding to be heard
but still the word sci fi attracts less money and is seen as 'geekie' even tho' cinemas have queues for blockbuster ''sci fi''' movies. say out loud i love sci fi and watch eyes glaze over here in britain.....try to get a grant for same..however make a movie about sex, love or murder, grant easier to get, then set the movie in the future with the same
content, and 'name' it sci fi.and the grant is VERY difficult to get, and is seen as fringe, no longer mainstream...dont know the answer..anyone?

ELLE

Post by ELLE » Wed Jan 19, 2005 11:25 am

P.S :) but whatever it is ..
.i am soooo looking forward to the festival and the brillliant menu of SCI FI movies set out by sci- fi- london, louis and co for us............ all nighters !!!! red bull and ben and jerry's... ~z~ hope to stay awake ~z~ hope all have a good time !!!! ;)