Festival Pass?

SCI-FI-LONDON 3 : 30th January - 1st February 2004
AlexKidd
SFL New User

Festival Pass?

Post by AlexKidd » Mon Oct 25, 2004 11:56 am

Hi everyone, I was just wondering if there was going to be the option this year to buy a festival pass which would let you go and see everything, like you can get for Frightfest and for Raindance. I’ve found that this just makes it so much easier to see more films and is usually good value if you plan on seeing a lot.

Anyone got any thoughts or ideas on this?

Shaun F
SFL Active Member

Festival Pass?

Post by Shaun F » Mon Oct 25, 2004 12:46 pm

The only challenge that I would see for this from a logistics point of view, is say you sell 50 passes, that means 50 seats that you have to keep free for EVERY showing. That means 50 seats you can not sell should people choose to not see movies. Which means a huge loss in cashflow with empty seats that could have otherwise been sold.
Yes you could say well have a cut off time for entrance, but if you bought a pass and then turned up late and it was then sold out how would you feel?

I think the best you can hope to try and go for is arrange a "group booking" or "block book" a set of films that you want to see, you might be able to persuade the oranisers to go for that.

AlexKidd
SFL New User

Festival Pass?

Post by AlexKidd » Mon Oct 25, 2004 2:12 pm

The way that Raindance work it is that you buy a pass which then lets you go and get complimentary tickets for which ever screenings you want to go to. This means that you still have to get tickets and that the box office can allocate all tickets, meaning no empty seats, unless you get a ticket and then don't turn up. Worked great at Raindance. Though this does also means that's it possible to get a pass and not be able to get a ticket for a certain screening as it's already sold out, as i found twice at Raindance.

It's just a suggestion, but i've found it creates a better atmosphere and encourages you to go and see films and events you might have thought about without the pass.

Roosta
SFL Active Member

Festival Pass?

Post by Roosta » Mon Oct 25, 2004 2:26 pm

Sounds good to me.

Perhaps limiting the number of passes would find the right balance for this system?
"TO THE SPACE GUN!!!"

AlexKidd
SFL New User

Festival Pass?

Post by AlexKidd » Mon Oct 25, 2004 3:26 pm

Yes doing a limited number would be good. I think Frightfest started off with 50 passes then by this year had gone up to 250, though i could be wrong on those numbers.

Anyone from the Festival out there that could let us now if there are any plans to do a pass this year?

Shaun F
SFL Active Member

Festival Pass?

Post by Shaun F » Mon Oct 25, 2004 4:24 pm

How much do you think a pass should cost?

AlexKidd
SFL New User

Festival Pass?

Post by AlexKidd » Mon Oct 25, 2004 4:35 pm

Hard to say, the Frightfest one is £99 and we got to see 20 films, so thats £5 per film, which is great. The Raindance one was £75 and covered 10 days of films, i managed to get to see 42 films, and could have got in a few more if i'd tried harder, so that worked out at £1.78 per film which was amazing!

Very hard to say about the Scifi Festival as we don't know how many films are on this year.

Also there might be problems for the festival as The Other Cinema has a big note on their doors saying it's probably going to be shutting down on Sunday November 14th due to lack of funding. Seeing as how half the screeings have always been on there it could cause the organisers are few problems if it does shut.

Shinji Ikari
SFL Pro

Festival Pass?

Post by Shinji Ikari » Thu Oct 28, 2004 9:15 pm

Not realy a good idera to do a compleat pass the anime all nighter on its own was a compleat sell out but thats news to me hereing that the cinimars going to shut down

Admin
Site Admin

Festival Pass?

Post by Admin » Fri Oct 29, 2004 10:25 am

Hi all...
Other cinema is closing down which is a real shame... so we are looking at alternative schemes now

Regarding passes - whilst I would love to do one, it is not an easy logistical thing for us - two box office systems, different deals at different times of the day for screenings.. and no funding (we get a little bit of cash from advertisers - seems no one understands about our genre! :) - make it financially difficult.

We think about it every year and keep trying to work out how, but so far not good way for us to do it and still make the festival work the way it does.

Watch this space

Louis

AlexKidd
SFL New User

Festival Pass?

Post by AlexKidd » Fri Oct 29, 2004 4:46 pm

Hadn't though about the porblems of having 2 different box offices, thanks for the reply.

How about putting some of the screenings on at The Prince Charles?

I'll still be there as much as possible, can't wait!

Shinji Ikari
SFL Pro

Festival Pass?

Post by Shinji Ikari » Sat Oct 30, 2004 12:18 am

Well the two locashions need to be near each other for starters thats the real key ishue thogh im realy sorry to here the news about the Other cinema home of the anime allnighter

Roosta
SFL Active Member

Festival Pass?

Post by Roosta » Mon Nov 01, 2004 10:23 am

sad news about The Other Cinema. I guess that it just wasnt making enough money to stay around.

As alternatives I guess using the Prince Charles or the other Curzon Cinema (Mayfair) are the main options, aside from moving the entire festival to another location!

It seems that even in London, decent cinemas are hard to find!

Good luck Louis!
Keep on trucking!
"TO THE SPACE GUN!!!"

Shinji Ikari
SFL Pro

Festival Pass?

Post by Shinji Ikari » Thu Nov 11, 2004 6:47 pm

Originally posted by Roosta

sad news about The Other Cinema. I guess that it just wasnt making enough money to stay around.

As alternatives I guess using the Prince Charles or the other Curzon Cinema (Mayfair) are the main options, aside from moving the entire festival to another location!

It seems that even in London, decent cinemas are hard to find!

Good luck Louis!
Keep on trucking!
Well the Curzon Cinema is used as the other locashion but theres realy isent enuth space to fit it all into one cinima so its going to be a hard job to find a second one nearby

Roosta
SFL Active Member

Festival Pass?

Post by Roosta » Fri Nov 12, 2004 10:04 am

exactly!

(unless the Leicester Square cinemas, Apollo West End or UGC Trocadero can be persuaded to show Sci-Fi! - I can dream cant I!)
"TO THE SPACE GUN!!!"

Missdee
SFL New User

Festival Pass?

Post by Missdee » Thu Dec 30, 2004 4:36 pm

I think i't s a great idea, but not feasible logisitcally. Also with showings selling out so quickly I think it would be grossly unfair to "hold" seats which might otherwise be sold