The Doc is Back! sires 3 31st march

All things on the small screen... TV, DVD, Video games... take your pick
Shinji Ikari
SFL Pro

Post by Shinji Ikari » Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:09 pm

So the new series starts on March 31st at 7pm - and we finally get to see how The Doctor gets on with his new companion - there have been a few rumours about what happens in the series - supposedly they're gonna spice it up a little like Torchwood (still remembering that it is a family show)

Moss Piglet
SFL Member

Post by Moss Piglet » Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:36 am

I hope they don't 'spice it up'. I kind of like an a-sexual Doctor. I want to see sci-fi when I watch Dr Who, not romance.
What do others think?
I am not a quiet person.

Shaun F
SFL Active Member

Post by Shaun F » Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:17 am

The relationship tension works well as long as its handled correctly, personally I like a mix. :)

elle
SFL Active Member

Post by elle » Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:13 pm

I agree with Moss Piglet.....i so wanted to love dr who..and it was good..(bible quote sorry it just came out(@))
mainly because of billy piper i thought..and dr who is alright..when he is not gurning..loved the old 'heros' coming back, and flying daleks?, be still my beating heart:~the cybermen story was fantastic too
BUT NO SPICING IT UP PLEASE.....the writing should be enough..sex and gurning is so wrong..it is sci fi ?
and please not like torchwood...which I found increasingly became the benny hill show in space or cardiff...
relationship tension?...its for kids!! what relationship tension?... its not eastenders...
PLEASE there are enough cheap smirks elsewhere ?
I WANT SCI FI THATS WHAT I SIGNED UP FOR....not innuendos written with a sledgehammer..... %)

Shaun F
SFL Active Member

Post by Shaun F » Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:04 am

Without relationship tensions why would the characters care if they lived or died or got stuck in another universe?

elle
SFL Active Member

Post by elle » Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:40 pm

yeah but no but etc...i agree ''relationship tensions' etc...but that pre- supposes
it means tensions bristling with sexual chemistry nowadays....seems that even the most ordinary actions...have to have tensions...very difficult to write and difficult to act..so the sledghammer techniques then happen...(like torchwood)
so i would rather they get on with it, NOT get on with it !!! as it were and DO SCI-FI !!
without the sidelong glasses and bloody cleavage!! AND NO GURNING !! dr who is not a gigolo is he? or did i miss something? :)

Shinji Ikari
SFL Pro

Post by Shinji Ikari » Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:13 pm

Originally posted by elle
I agree with Moss Piglet.....i so wanted to love dr who..and it was good..(bible quote sorry it just came out(@))
mainly because of billy piper i thought..and dr who is alright..when he is not gurning..loved the old 'heros' coming back, and flying daleks?, be still my beating heart:~the cybermen story was fantastic too
BUT NO SPICING IT UP PLEASE.....the writing should be enough..sex and gurning is so wrong..it is sci fi ?
and please not like torchwood...which I found increasingly became the benny hill show in space or cardiff...
relationship tension?...its for kids!! what relationship tension?... its not eastenders...
PLEASE there are enough cheap smirks elsewhere ?
I WANT SCI FI THATS WHAT I SIGNED UP FOR....not innuendos written with a sledgehammer..... %)
Insent that what Torchwood is for?

elle
SFL Active Member

Post by elle » Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:16 pm

is it sci fi or smirks....do you mean it is for smirks in cardiff..shinji san?

smeagol
SFL New User

Post by smeagol » Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:38 am

CGI, used in moderation, can enhance a Tv show, or film. I don't think there's anything wrong with it, per se, but excessive use of CGI, as in the SW prequels, doth not a great movie make.

DW has used the tech quite sparingly, mainly since, i suppose, they don't have the bugdet to do massive CG set pieces. S'pose that's why most of the stories are set in and around London, especially in series 2. I wonder what's in store for series 3?

btw, not sure about everyone else, but i'm looking forward to seeing the doctor, with a new companion. wasn't that enamoured with billie piper, and yes, i realise that i've forgone capital letters, but it's late, and me very sleeeeeeeeeeeeeepy. see, i pressed the e button too much there. man i need to sleep...

elle
SFL Active Member

Post by elle » Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:15 am

oh smeagol your sig made me laugh out loud.... ''southampton etc''
disagree billie piper was divine and just right as rose in dr W....

time and money constraints in dr W for cgi...?
whatever is in store..gurning will be on the menu for sure..but still looking forward to it.. :D
and the possible re appearance of the ~0 ~0 ~0

smeagol
SFL New User

Post by smeagol » Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:16 am

Originally posted by elle
oh smeagol your sig made me laugh out loud.... ''southampton etc''
disagree billie piper was divine and just right as rose in dr W....

time and money constraints in dr W for cgi...?
whatever is in store..gurning will be on the menu for sure..but still looking forward to it.. :D
and the possible re appearance of the ~0 ~0 ~0

elle,

i suppose people are split over the billie piper issue. each to their own. only four days to go til the doc's back...
:)

elle
SFL Active Member

Post by elle » Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:07 pm

saying that..billie should have stayed as rose....crinolines etc dont go with a 'modern face and speech patterns''
her present roles......prob being picky %)

still looking forward to the (daleks) ~0 ~0 ~0 ~0

siccoyote
SFL Member

Post by siccoyote » Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:16 pm

I don't know why I watch it, the cybemen stories were quite good last year but the rest of it was a bit poor, totally sick of Mr Queer as Folk's kitchen-sink drama with a bit of poor sci-fi stuck in.

Also too much gurning and I didn't like any of the companions, billie was tollerable about 20% of the time. I didn't really realise how good Ecclston actually was till they showed clips of him toward the end of series 2 and it really showed up how rubbish Tennant is, (prepares for wave of response from shallow squeeing female fans)

Hmm, sorry, bit of a rant.

elle
SFL Active Member

Post by elle » Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:09 pm

'''Also too much gurning and I didn't like any of the companions, billie was tollerable about 20% of the time. I didn't really realise how good Ecclston actually was till they showed clips of him toward the end of series 2 and it really showed up how rubbish Tennant is, (prepares for wave of response from shallow squeeing female fans) '''

agreed BUT what the hell is a shallow squeeing female fan?
does that mean it is only women who seem to fancy him? DOG(god) knows why?%)

and i seem to remember saying eccleston was divine (he is too in heroes!!!spoiler alert)
dont think its queer as folk, but a soap of poor quality..the viewer is seen as a consumer now..we 'consume' tv so are given easliy digestible short hand stories, with a recipe of sex humour and fear....
i gave up watching dr who....a hospital without the sick, but with a shop, drs and nurses...real NHS drama then....
gurning/pop eyes and more bloody hair gel ....oh this is also a rant..........

and why not!!!
:~

smeagol
SFL New User

Post by smeagol » Sun Apr 01, 2007 5:30 pm

I always try and watch any series like an open book, no matter how 'bad' it is, i think that there's always some 'good' bits in a show. DW is a good example of that. It's not perfect, by any means, and there have been some cringe-worthy eps, especially last series. New Earth being one of them, far too much going on in that episode for a coherent plot; they could've left out the cassandra stuff, and just focused on the cat nuns. and the face of boe? where is that thread going? I read that RTD is planning on resolving that storyline in series 3? I hope that gets followed through on, otherwise, what was the point of putting it in in the first place?

as for the gurning and the 'soap' aspects... hmm, there certainly was a lot of that, especially with the Tylers (one of the things i didn't like about Rose's family), and too much emphasis on the family stuff, when they should've gone for more about the Doctor, and his past - they touched on it in the Dalek ep, with Eccelston, but not to much with Tennant, which is a shame, coz the Daleks and the Doctor are inextricably linked, they are part of the fabric of the show, really.

Still haven't seen the first episode of the new series yet, so we'll see how, and where, RTD takes the time lord this series....