No more broadcast tv for me

All things on the small screen... TV, DVD, Video games... take your pick
Shaun F
SFL Active Member

Post by Shaun F » Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:07 pm

Having realise that I have a "weakness" for television that eats into my free time in a rather dramatic way I have taken drastic action. (scary that I regard this as drastic if you think about it). I am cancelling my sky subscription and removing the ability to get broadcast television.

My inability to ration myself to either a) only watching sky+ recordings b) only watch them on one day and not straight after recording or c) waste my life staring at a brainwave flattening box has led me to this.

So if it does not come out on DVD then I just wont see it. Strangely this feels rather liberating as we do go through a period of not having broadcast tv about 12 years ago. I just want to see how different my life is with all that extra time back in my life. So are we all addicted to television or are there others who are DVD only?

Roosta
SFL Active Member

Post by Roosta » Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:25 pm

Interesting experiment Shaun - you're a braver man than I! #)

If you're looking for alternatives to the idiot-box, have you considered an online DVD rental company? I can thoroughly recommend Lovefilm! :)
"TO THE SPACE GUN!!!"

The Editor
SFL Active Member

Post by The Editor » Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:35 pm

But if you substitute time in front of the tele for computer time you might want to check this out http://www.getdemocracy.com/. More potential time wasting.

ELLE

Post by ELLE » Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:18 am

''democracy'' looks interesting...will 'look' more at that thanx
never had sky..seen it in other peoples houses and seemed loads channels .not really more choice, cos it all ends up on the freeview box anyway, and that i love..BBC4 and BBC3
and ITV4 for sci fi..and my fave channel...MORE4, nicknamed motherfuckertv...?...moahfoah? %)
never rent ..and buy on play.com and tesco jersey, only movies i know i will watch over,
alistair sim and g.clooney and sci fi...michael moore etc...
wotever......but the secret is NOT TO EVER watch BB..castaway x factor or endemol and bbc copies.....
shaun i lived in wales 93-96 three years without tv and didnt 'miss it' but my grasp on 'now' slipped i think or perhaps it was cos i was in wales and stoned a lot, being a student(mature)
dont be scared #)...cancelling the payment for wot comes free anyway is clever....
plus perhaps another dab radio sci fi ear candy person lives within? :D

Shinji Ikari
SFL Pro

Post by Shinji Ikari » Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:09 pm

I need sky my selth as nuthing I like is aired on freeview or standard TV thats never on any more
Last edited by Shinji Ikari on Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

timberwolf0122
SFL Active Member

Post by timberwolf0122 » Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:01 am

Good man! one day soon we wll be able to choose the TV we watch, untill then I say boycot the crap and record what is good. The rest of the time live life to the max! Extream!!!!!!

ELLE

Post by ELLE » Sun Sep 17, 2006 2:01 pm

trouble is there is so much crap...on everything...chavvy telly?
and i got told off for using the term CHAV am told its a bit racist/sexist etc...help :~
shinji there is anime to die for every day on film 4..???? freeview?

Shaun F
SFL Active Member

Post by Shaun F » Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:12 pm

I forgot to say, we will not even have freeview telly. We will not be watching broadcast television of any type at all!!
So DVD's of our fave series, will will either hire, or buy on ebay cheap and re-sell as we are unlikely to watch them again. Buy and keep DVD's of the movies we will watch time and time again. Get to read books, listen to music and actually interact with each other at a conversational level!!
Our internet use and videogames use will probably stay at about the same.

Roosta
SFL Active Member

Post by Roosta » Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:58 pm

Will be interesting to see whether your Sky+ Subscription and TV Licence costs, will be less than, equal to, or greater than, the costs of new DVDs, Books and Music!? :?
"TO THE SPACE GUN!!!"

Shaun F
SFL Active Member

Post by Shaun F » Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:23 pm

Already buying books. dvd's and music. :)
It will be interesting to see how much box sets cost me, hence the ebay or go into a purchase share with friends. Split the costs and share ownership prior to ebaying or re-ebaying. Add in subscriptions to SFX or a few newsfeeds to find out whats out there to be watched.

ELLE

Post by ELLE » Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:11 pm

wow.... #)
no broadcast stuff at all..
actually i have never rented dvd's as the price is so low for new stuff...just wait a couple months..
play.com and tesco jersey..and amazon usually cheaper than ebay?..unless rare cult stuff..ebay is mostly shops now?although i am on ebay stalking a little something at the moment!....
i have noticed that people who dont have or watch much telly seem to speak lower or at least dontshout...dont need to ..with the eye in the corner of the room making so much noise....good luck with it:D

The Editor
SFL Active Member

Post by The Editor » Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:56 pm

If you are going to buy and sell DVDs on e-bay why not try Swopex http://track.webgains.com/click.html?wg ... gnid=11358 where you can just swap the DVDs you don't want for ones you do at just 99p each. They have stacks of sci-fi too. Check out http://www.gumtree.com which sells used DVDs and loads of other stuff. It's a bit like Loot and e-bay but more community minded.

And don't forget SFL has lots of competitions for new releases too.

Shinji Ikari
SFL Pro

Post by Shinji Ikari » Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:54 pm

so can i have your sky pluss box Shaun?

Shaun F
SFL Active Member

Post by Shaun F » Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:46 am

what do you want to swap for it? :)

ELLE

Post by ELLE » Fri Sep 22, 2006 2:53 pm

THANX for the info ed.. gumtree?..not sure if i like that one... but the ebay..yes..thanx
shaun might enjoy this ...lost the remote for my freeview box for 28 hours (yes i counted them)
and found i was quite ok aboutnot seeing t.v except for ''extras''
the freeview box runs the whole system :~
so watched aeon flux the movie made to promote cheap black hair dyed wigs...but with brilliant effects?