No more broadcast tv for me

All things on the small screen... TV, DVD, Video games... take your pick
Moss Piglet
SFL Member

Post by Moss Piglet » Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:54 pm

I'd love to hear how you're going in 6 months time, that is, how you filled your extra time etc. Keep us posted.
Thanks
I am not a quiet person.

Shaun F
SFL Active Member

Post by Shaun F » Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:58 am

well tonight is the last episode of the show we wanted to watch that will not come out on DVD. Tomorrow morning the 30 day cancellation order goes in :)

Shinji Ikari
SFL Pro

Post by Shinji Ikari » Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:16 pm

Originally posted by Shaun F
what do you want to swap for it? :)
What would you like?

Shaun F
SFL Active Member

Post by Shaun F » Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:35 pm

well in 30 days its going to be gone. Not sure whether it has freeview capabilities, if it does my sister said she might want it, I do not know if sky have a kill command :)

They did try very very very hard to keep me, lost count of the numbers of ways they tried to convince me not to cancel!!

ELLE

Post by ELLE » Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:17 am

this all sounds painful?.....havnt watched tv for couple days..been doing other stuff...just imagine you are out a lot..then you wont miss it?
and it sounds scary?...the reaction as if you have surgery?...
guarantee that if you miss t.v for few days/weeks and then go back it is like it never happened...and after seeing the last 2 eps of lost then i may give up...!!

Shaun F
SFL Active Member

Post by Shaun F » Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:59 am

Well 29 days and counting :)

Roosta
SFL Active Member

Post by Roosta » Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:51 pm

Hee, hee, hee,... this is actually pretty exciting! :D
"TO THE SPACE GUN!!!"

Shinji Ikari
SFL Pro

Post by Shinji Ikari » Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:20 am

Originally posted by Shaun F
well in 30 days its going to be gone. Not sure whether it has freeview capabilities, if it does my sister said she might want it, I do not know if sky have a kill command :)

They did try very very very hard to keep me, lost count of the numbers of ways they tried to convince me not to cancel!!
The tend to send a signal out to kill your card so nuthing works once you cancel

Shaun F
SFL Active Member

Post by Shaun F » Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:07 pm

I thought as much.

So 19 days to go and there is even less to watch on the box than before!! Not forgetting sky are constantly dicking about with show times anyways and moving stuff around so the sky+ actually loses track of the show!

Watched a movie mid week before 10 at night last night which was really a first.

Shaun F
SFL Active Member

Post by Shaun F » Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:08 pm

15 days to go, series are coming to an end but some new ones are starting up, so whether to watch them start and then get the DVD's or not watch them at all and see them all fresh. Hard to say on that one!

ELLE

Post by ELLE » Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:03 pm

blimey it is like waiting for an op?....14 days to go?..
dont watch them and get them fresh?....wotever..... the anaesthesia wears off quickly :~

Shinji Ikari
SFL Pro

Post by Shinji Ikari » Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:40 pm

You thoght yet what you want to swap for the box?

Shaun F
SFL Active Member

Post by Shaun F » Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:43 am

might plan to take it apart and try the upgrade trick on it, unless thats what you were going to do with it?

the-mental-one
SFL Member

Post by the-mental-one » Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:47 pm

I have my sky box as well as a sky plus and even though I don't have multiroom the sky box works as a freeview box. I don't know if it would be the same with a Sky+ but I can only assume it would be. Personally I'd hate to do that, I don't spend money buying DVD's or anything like that so I record the stuff with Sky+ and watch it later on. normally I watch the stuff recorded during the week over one day on the weekend in between doing other stuff, and anything that seems bad I simply delete. I still read around 4 or 5 books a week when I'm reading, I fiddle with the computer, I play games on the pc, ps2 and dreamcast, the only thing that has ever suffered is housework...but then I blitz the flat every weekend too - unless I'm away somewhere. TV doesn't take up that much time, if I was buying the DVD's I'd no doubt be spending more and still watching stuff for the same amount of time as I'm very picky about what I watch. *shrugs* each to their own.

Shaun F
SFL Active Member

Post by Shaun F » Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:09 pm

currently a typical week for us is as follows.
up at 6am and on the train to work by 7.20
in work around 8.30 and then work until 5.30. (If we are lucky)
We might get home around 7 if we are lucky, usually 7.30 as we more than likely actually work until 6pm.
By the time we get home and sit down to eat its usually 8 or 8.30.
which gives us 1.5 hours until bed to do with as we please.
Weekends (starting friday night and ending sunday night) are spent having as much fun as possible and making the most of every one of lifes opportunities that get in the way :)

So in the mix of all that there is all the domestic stuff to get done (although we have now sourced a maid/cleaner at long last)

But all this is totally not uncommon we imagine. The problem comes with our addiction to television shows and the fact we do not get to bed at 10 as we should due to watching television and not having the willpower to turn the goggle box off. Which usually results in about 6 hours sleep (which is not good for you).

Now vector in how much tv we watch
Battlestar Galactica
All the stargates
All the csi's
Las vegas
Doctor Who
Come dancing
Robin Hood
town called eureka
about 3 other shows on living tv
a couple others.
It comes to something like 16-24 hours of television every week. thats before movies and other shows that we just happen to catch.
So we made the choice to kill the addiction dead and get our lives back.
After all its just television! So as series end we do not tag any more looking forward to the day when we turn it off entirely and spend evenings together, renovating the house, games, having friends for dinner, doing the domestic stuff, spending time actually out of the house doing all the free things that are enjoyable and actually interacting with each other rather than sat there in silence staring at the tube and entering into conversation at the ad breaks (which of course last about 4 seconds with sky+ on fast forward).