New Red Dwarf coming to Dave this year

All things on the small screen... TV, DVD, Video games... take your pick
billy
SFL Member

New Red Dwarf coming to Dave this year

Post by billy » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:57 pm

This seems to have been announced last September, but I managed to miss it - Dave is filming a new two part episode of Red Dwarf for broadcast sometime this year, as a celebration of the show's 21st birthday.

Robert Llewelyn mentioned it on Twitter the other day and was surprised when hardly anyone seemed to know about it.

Announcement on Red Dwarf.co.uk

What do people think? I'm happy to see more and will be keeping my eyes peeled for audience tickets, but when I stuck it up on my blog the general reaction was less favourable - people seem to have got a bit burned on the last two series and weren't keen to have that happen again...

Heebie
SFL Member

Re: New Red Dwarf coming to Dave this year

Post by Heebie » Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:07 pm

I'd definitely give it a go.

Do we know whether all the original cast are coming back?

Also, how come it's on Dave rather than BBC2?

billy
SFL Member

Post by billy » Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:31 am

According to Mr Llewellyn it is with all the original cast, although I don't know if it'll be Hatty Hayridge or Norman Lovett coming back as Holly.
And as for why it's Dave - they're running repeats of RD and I think they proposed the new eps.

billy
SFL Member

Post by billy » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:25 am

And from Mr Llewellyn's prolific twitter stream:
"Okay, now we know it's really going to happen. I just received my Red Dwarf contract. No turning back now, smeg, Kryters is back!"

billy
SFL Member

Post by billy » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:05 am

While they are still continuing with the filming, they've now cancelled the live audience episode, switching it for another normal ep. I've stuck up some links to Robert Llewelyn's tweets on my blog.

CherieDonovan
SFL New User

Post by CherieDonovan » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:50 am

billy wrote:And as for why it's Dave - they're running repeats of RD and I think they proposed the new eps.
Actually, from what I hear* Dave did not suggest the new episodes, they were pitched to the BBC by the writers, but they were turned down. I think that it is probably because a lot of fans felt let down by the final couple of seasons, and, let us be honest, although we shall all be tuning in because we are fans, a lot of us will be dreading a repetition of the not-so-brilliant-as-the-other-seasons-final-couple-of-seasons - lol. Still, fingers crossed. With any luck these specials will have the charm and wit and originality that made the original series so great. I shall reserve my judgment for after-viewing hours.

*I forget where I heard this from, so this may not actually be true.
Cherie Donovan, professional comic book writer and budding film maker.
"I am the She-Panther. No man shall tame me; I am free."

billy
SFL Member

Post by billy » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:25 am

CherieDonovan wrote:Actually, from what I hear* Dave did not suggest the new episodes, they were pitched to the BBC by the writers, but they were turned down
Since I first heard about the new eps I've done a bit of looking and I've heard the same (although I also can't remember where from :) ) - I don't know if Dave grabbed the people proposing the new eps or not, but as they are pushing for original programming at the moment it seems to have been a useful meeting of minds.

With more potential eps and the perpetually in development film floating around for so long I wasn't expecting to see anything new from the RD stable, but they've managed to grab the old cast again and according to Robert Llewelyn's tweets things seem to be going well, although I too will reserve judgement for the time being...

Sark
SFL Member

Post by Sark » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:43 pm

It COULD be awesome. However at the risk of bringing hordes of derision upon myself I think that the humour of the series needs to be updated. At the time it was cutting edge, but now seems dated, hence the vitriol directed at the later series.

Not that it is easy to write story, sci-fi and situation comedy but with some freshness it could be good viewing.
"I'm out of it for a little while, everyone gets delusions of grandeur"

billy
SFL Member

Post by billy » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:33 am

Well, they wrapped at the weekend so all we can do now is wait and maybe watch @bobbyllew's twitter stream for tidbits.
Looks like it'll be on Dave over Easter weekend. They've got some details and piccies over on their site:

Shinji Ikari
SFL Pro

Post by Shinji Ikari » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:54 pm

ok heres the infor you beeing awighting

To celebrate the 21st birthday of Red Dwarf, we're bringing back the original cast for a three part special in April. Can't wait? We're afraid you'll have to. In the meantime, we've got Red Dwarf every Wednesday at 9.40pm to help tide you over. But get ready, because Lister & co will be landing on a screen near you very soon for a brand new adventure!

billy
SFL Member

Post by billy » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:35 am

And we've now got an interview with Craig Charles up on the main SFL site - Linky

Shinji Ikari
SFL Pro

Post by Shinji Ikari » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:15 pm

even better its easter weekend when its aired

billy
SFL Member

Post by billy » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:30 am

And now Chris Barrie is saying that he thinks there's still life in Red Dwarf...although the mentioning the film might be the death knell of that idea.

billy
SFL Member

Post by billy » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:39 pm

Random news - The cast (apart from Craig Charles) will be in Berkeley Square tomorrow evening, with goody bags for the first 500 people to turn up.

http://londonist.com/2009/04/red_dwarf_ ... erkele.php

Paul Jacques
SFL Member

Post by Paul Jacques » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:12 pm

Just seen an advert on Dave, looks like first part of the new special is aired Friday 10th April at 9pm on Dave... see everyone there :wink: