New stargate series starts early this year

All things on the small screen... TV, DVD, Video games... take your pick
coolhandedluke
SFL New User

New stargate series starts early this year

Post by coolhandedluke » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:52 am

There will be a third stargate series beginning early this year shooting began in February.

Just watching the trailer it seems to be a darker look at the stargate world not unlike the BSG. Stargate Universe will debut as a two-hour movie.

The series seems to be about a band of soldiers, scientists and civilians are forced through a stargate when their hidden base comes under attack. The desperate survivors emerge aboard an ancient ship, The Destiny, which is locked on an unknown course and unable to return to Earth. Faced with meeting the most basic needs of food, water and air, the group must unlock the secrets of the ship's stargate to survive. The danger, adventure and hope they find on board Destiny will reveal the heroes and villains among them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiA_Fj_n ... re=related

billy
SFL Member

Re: New stargate series starts early this year

Post by billy » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:34 am

BSG certainly has a lot to answer for... they even have the obligatory british actor in SGU that all good US TV series have to have in order to be taken seriously :)

I'll be interested to see how much of the old Stargate mythos they bring in to this new series, as the aesthetic of it is not quite so dark (with even the darkest elements having a slightly campy feel to them) and the look so far of SGU does seem to be more towards the bleak. The addition of them being on a ship disappearing into the void may also remove the Stargate itself as a significant presence in the series (I can't remember the rules on Stargates in moving vehicles...) which might make it a Stargate series in name only, which might be a good thing.

It does seem to be difficult to get good new SF programming on TV in the US at the moment, so piggy backing off of a popular brand seems like a good plan, I just hope the series lives up to its pedigree.

the-mental-one
SFL Member

Re: New stargate series starts early this year

Post by the-mental-one » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:29 pm

I'm more interested to see this now. Whilst BSG may have a lot to answer for in turning tv sci-fi to the dark side the original ideas that were being bandied about for this stargate series sounded atrocious. I for one was not interested in a version of 90210 set in space with a stargate in the background...which is what it sounded like they were aiming for as far as I was concerned.

I don't think BSG having an effect on other shows is a bad thing so long as people try and do their own thing rather than just carbon copying from something that did well for the bottom line... Wait, what am I saying? If a production company thinks it's good for the bottom line the only way we'll have new sci-fi series for years to come will be as carbon copies :roll: