Batman and Robin (the movie) – not as bad as everyone made o

Talk about the latest happenings in your local movie theatre...
Heebie
SFL Member

Batman and Robin (the movie) – not as bad as everyone made o

Post by Heebie » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:48 am

I just watched the 1997 outing starring Arnie, George and Uma and I actually quite liked it (although I do remember hating it at the time it was released).

Okay, the dialogue was a bit clunky in places and Batgirl was criminally underused, but the action scenes were fun and it never took itself too seriously.

I think George Clooney (if used right) could have made a pretty good Batman if given the right material to work with – a vast improvement on Val Kilmer in any case!

billy
SFL Member

Re: Batman and Robin (the movie) – not as bad as everyone made o

Post by billy » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:52 am

You are wrong.
That is all I need to say :)

Well, I should probably expand that a bit. I only saw it for the first time the other day, and as a fan to some extent of all the Batman movies (with the 1966 one being my favourite) I thought I'd appreciate it even if it was bad. I was wrong. It's broken technically as a film, with bad editing, sound, special effects and the rest, as well as having an awful script and terrible acting. You could almost see the loathing for his agent in the be-cowled eyes of Clooney every time he opened his mouth to deliver another unconvincing string of words and Alicia Silverstone looked as if she was high. All of that said, Arnie obviously enjoyed himself, which made him come over well, even if he was meant to be a one note pun-machine. Uma Thurman also seemed to be enjoying herself, but that just led to her running around and chewing the scenery in an unpleasant fashion. Overall - so bad that it was just bad.

This is the best way to watch the film - with everything but Arnie's puns cut out...

Heebie
SFL Member

Post by Heebie » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:18 am

Maybe I was just feeling charitable when I watched it!

I thought they had too many characters. I'd rather is was Batman vs Poison Ivy.

the-mental-one
SFL Member

Post by the-mental-one » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:51 pm

You know there are times when a movie is so bad it goes right back out the other side and becomes good?

This movie doesn't manage it, it's just bad. The plot was useless, the comic book genre was used as an appalling excuse to be cheesy in the worst way, the dialogue was diabolical, over half the actors didn't look like they cared (but not in a "we know this is shit but we're enjoying ourselves and it'll be funny when it's done" way, more a "at least we're getting paid for this dross" apathy) and therefore either didn't bother to act or completely overhammed it. If everyone had overhammed it they might have been able to work it into a B movie styled cult classic but it was neither one thing nor another and it just didn't work.

The sound was too loud or too quiet a lot, the music and sound effects overpowered the vocals at times, and the visuals often looked like someone had vomitted onto a picasso painting after eating too many skittles...

o.k. I think you get the idea...I really didn't like this movie.

The Editor
SFL Active Member

Post by The Editor » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:51 pm

There is one good thing about this movie - the soundtrack. I bought the CD ages ago, admittedly it was £2 in a sale, but it has some great tunes on it.

Heebie
SFL Member

Post by Heebie » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:59 pm

The Editor wrote:There is one good thing about this movie - the soundtrack. I bought the CD ages ago, admittedly it was £2 in a sale, but it has some great tunes on it.
Really? I never recognised any of the songs when I watched it.

The last memorable song from Batman was U2's Hold Me...

the-mental-one
SFL Member

Post by the-mental-one » Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:04 pm

The Editor wrote:There is one good thing about this movie - the soundtrack. I bought the CD ages ago, admittedly it was £2 in a sale, but it has some great tunes on it.
That's true outside of the movie the songs on the soundtrack aren't half bad...I guess I just never really considered buying it because of the movie. Possibly a personality flaw but I can't seem to shift the bias. Besides I ended up having a lot of the songs on other cd's somewhere, and that way I was able to pick and choose the songs I particularly liked on albums that had more songs I liked in them. Still not a bad selection at all for two quid.

Shinji Ikari
SFL Pro

Post by Shinji Ikari » Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:05 am

I personly liked the Second One more then the first one but then we forget the other two and jump to the far more impresive new ones

the-mental-one
SFL Member

Post by the-mental-one » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:33 pm

Heebie wrote:
Really? I never recognised any of the songs when I watched it.

The last memorable song from Batman was U2's Hold Me...

That was used in Batman Forever - Seal's Kiss from a Rose... was from that same movie IIRC

Batman and Robin has one crap song from R Kelly but 2 decent songs from Smashing Pumpkins "The End Is the Beginning Is the End" & "The Beginning Is the End Is the Beginning" (love that band) a decent REM song "Revolution" and a Bone Thugs 'n Harmony song which I can't remember the name of and there were other decent songs on it so yeah, I'd say it was worth it on the basis of the Smashing Pumpkins :P

Heebie
SFL Member

Post by Heebie » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:17 am

Yikes, bit late now.

How did you get on?